James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Hi Wizard

You seem to know alot about James Dixon so I'm hoping you can help me

as well.

I have this teapot thats been passed down through the family.

If you look at my avatar its the picture of the teapot.

Its about 8" tall 4 claw feet and a flower finale.

Under neath is inscribed:

B

43 6

JAMES DIXON & SONS

SHEFFIELD

The B is very small lettering and is hard to see but it is clear

that it is there. Can you tell me what metal this is and the date.

Thank you

Troy

Hi Troy 7,

I believe this 'teapot' is most probably made of 'Brittania' Metal. I say this for the following reasons.

The configuration of the printing on this piece as I read your letter is as follows:

B

43 6= I am not not clear what this number means.

James Dixon & Sons = Firm Name

SHEFFIELD = Address of Firm

4663 = Pattern

The B may or may not refer to the designation Brittania metal, or could designate a Workman's initial.

The reason why I suggest that this is Brittania Metal rather than Silverplate of any description, is the absence of the letters 'epbm' which stand for electroplated base metal. Sometimes Pattern numbers were not used on all goods. The reason for this is unclear.

The configuration of the name and the word 'SHEFFIELD' as written on this item (how they appear on the piece) probably dates this to between 1851-79 this according to Scott's book, 'Pewter Wares from Sheffield'

Just as a matter of interest totally unrelated to this email...

I have a Tea Urn, which is dated 'James Dixon & Son' which suggests a date of 1830-34. What is most unusual about this piece is that it is silverplated, and the initials EPBM are clearly incised on the item. It has never been suggested before that the Dixon Firm a) held a Patent for this process that early, or b) that they were electroplating at all, that early on...The silverplate is now peeling a little in a couple of areas. The 'Patent Mark' on this piece, suggests that James Dixon's Firm had the right to silverplate from a much earlier date than has originally been thought.

I should say that I do not consider myself a Professional Appraiser, and can only give information which I believe to be true. My knowledge has been gained by accumulating many Books, samples of the Dixon Firms' work, and obscure references over quite few years. It is inevitable that I may be mistaken from time to time... any opinion which I give, should not be considered to be inviolate. I have seen many changes in information thought to be fact, over the years, as new information becomes available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Wizardsilver,

Just wondering if you could give me a bit of info on what I think is a EP butter dish Marks are EP stamped sideways, JD&S, trumpet on the same line, under that the numbers 7620/1, it consists of three pieces 1. the base a bowl about 3 1/2 cm high and 18 1/2 cm across with a lip around 2 cm and the inner part forms the bowl (guess to hold ice). 2. flat plate about 14cm across. 3. a domed lip 14cm across and 9cm high including the knob which is made of ebonized wood I think and is held on by a silver screw. It was won as a trophy by my late grandfather and is inscribed with the date 15/4/21.

Any info much appriciated

thanks Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, but I'm another inept searcher for the truth...

My wife owns a 5 inch Electro plate saucer (coaster) of which we'd like to know the approximate value (lowly though this may be)

We have identified it as EP, made by James Dixon and Sons after 18whatever, as it has the trumpet on, but...

Beneath all the marks noted above there is a V or possibly Y followed by 1691.

I'm guessing that this indicates the model, pattern or catalogue number, but does anyone know where I might find further information, to narrow its identification, and valuation, further ?

Thanks

MonsieurBOZ

Wizard, - I'm interested to see you're writing my (our) family's history!!! My grandfather grew up at Stumpelow, his father being the last James, I think. My father has written a family tree, and my cousin has done a more up to date job on it. I would be interested to hear how you get on! my own knowledge on this is not brilliant - rely on my father for info as needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Typing this for the second time since i lost my first post...GR

anyway, Hi There!

I'm curious as to whether or not bear has heard from Assay? Seem's he and I are the only people who have the joys of having this beautiful set, and have no information on it!

My mother just inherited this set (although her set is 4pc, cream mug, sugarbowl, tea pot and coffee pot), and this is the only site that has any information!

I'm curious as to why my set has a different hallmark to bears.

The hallmark is as follows:

Fleur De Lis

James Dixon & Sons (written in an arch formation)

Sheffield (between the two ends of the arch)

Trumpet Stamp

E.P.B.M

8796E

Now ask me if I can find the same hallmark anywhere online. I know what the info in the hallmark means, electro plated and pattern nummber etc, So now I am confused, because one post on here says the name was shortned in to J D & S in 1879 and that was when the trumpet was introduced, apart from the rare one between 1830-1834...Why must antiquities be so complicated?!

Anyway, there ya have it, oh I also have a salad fork and spoon with the hallmark [J] [D] (&) with a trumpet, which is inside a crest, beside it. No other marks are on the items. Any ideas on the year?

Any information will be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I am an amateur, so here goes:

I have a metal teapot about6 inches tall it has a metal handle of a floral design with some sort of band at each connection to the pot. It has a round base and a finial in the shape of a flower; it seems to be screwed to the lid which is attached to the pot with a hinge. The inscription on the bottom says James Dixon on the first line with &Sons on the second line. Above the inscription in a semicircular fashion is a 35 (the five being much lighter) M 3. underneath the inscription are the numbers 8 6 7. What would you anticipate the age to be?

• 3 weeks later...