James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Hi I have just bought a saddle flask for common riding in the summer but wanted to know a bit mare about it?

It is electroplate conical flask with a brown leather bag/case that straps to the saddle. It's marks are as follows:

X

JD&S

EPBM

H50A

Any info at all would be appreciated.

Lauren

Hi Lauren - welcome to the Forum!.:).It seems that your flask was made of electro-plated Britannia metal by James Dixon & Sons. If the letters/numbers of the mark look something like this, then this will confirm that it's a Dixons item (also if there is the "trumpet" trademark anywhere on the flask). There was also James Deakin & Son, but in my experience their plated items were marked differently like this example.

Hi Lauren - Dixons products actually have a variety of different marks. Pictures need to uploaded to an image hosting site, but I have sent you my email address by Private Message. If you email me a photo of your flask I'll ask my retired silversmith cousin. I also like "a nice dram" - here is a photo of my cupboard (but it was taken before Hogmanay)..;)

Hello again Lauren - I've uploaded your two photos to postimg.org - here are two .links. I think the trademark is similar enough to the other Dixons marks I've seen to be identified as one of theirs, but I'll ask my cousin.

Yes, I tend to favour the peaty Islay malts - the two you mention are fine (I haven't tasted a malt that isn't) but I think my favourite is Laphroaig. But as I wrote, the photo was taken around Hogmanay and the Strathisla and 12 year-old Glenlivet are now just a memory. But I think I'll pour a Laphroaig - cheers!

... we shall have a wee laphroaig too! Slainte!
....Slainte!.:P

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 12:42 ----------

Hi Lauren - I just spoke to my cousin Michael and described the marks on your flask. He confirms that this is a James Dixon marking, so you may be secure in the knowledge that you have a fine example of Sheffield craftsmanship..:)

• 3 weeks later...