James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

New Member, 1st Post, glad 2 b here.

fwiw, a li'l bit more on James Dixon & Sons that may be is of interest to some...

Was recently tracking down info. on a marrow spoon Hallmark:

Also, the bigger marrow spoon picture

Here's some quoted help from Phil at the 925-1000 forums

"...You were right to suspect that this is plated. The letters of the manufacturer's mark are actually ID&S which, with the interchangeability of I and J, leads us to the Sheffield company James Dixon & Sons. It is possible that the Y is some sort of private date coding but, if so, I am not aware that we have any further information about the system. The rectangular shape of the centre section may be to match a set of flatware or perhaps simply a way of making the item more cheaply..."

and adding a couple of bits from this topic:

"...I believe because of the stamps it has it cannot have been made after 1879 because that is when James Dixon and Sons were granted a bugle trademark stamp. Also it couldn't have been made before 1835 because before that the company was known by a different name so the initials wouldn't have been used..."

And, possibly. the sideways Y to the right of the mark could be = 1866 or, 1821 - before the flood!

See Sheffield Date Letters

and that's all I know today. thanks for reading!

Firstly the mark isn't a Hallmark, it's just a makers mark, the marks are done in such a way to fool people into thinking that they are a Hallmark, the value of the Marrow Scoop is around £3-£5. Do not think the sideways "Y" is a year mark because it isn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. This is all very interesting and I hope that you may be able to help me.

I have a large teaspoon which is plain apart from a large shell at the end of the handle. The marks on the back are .2 J D & S all in individual boxes/circles. I have confirmed that it is James Dixon & Sons but can't find out what the .2 signifies.

Can anyone provide any information, please? Thanks

• 5 months later...

I have what appears to be a James Dixon & Sons silver &/or EP footed, floor model potpourri container.

It has 7 stamps inside; first one is BP, last one is a trumpet. under it is what I think is pattern # 5221.

Other markings Patent # 11,350 (small # 85).

Also R & No 108017

It about 12 inches high, stands on 4 feet, rounded bothsides open to divided container....

I would love to more about this item.

Thank you, Cind

• 6 months later...

I did make a contribution way back on page 3. I have a bit of an obsession with James Dixon and Sons as six generations of my family worked for them. I wrote a couple of books about the firm, one of which is on Amazon. The other I published privately and I allowed John Bank to put the whole of both books on his website...http://www.pewterbank.com. The second book 'A rare and special collection' includes a table of trademarks used at particular times in the firms history. It might help people with dating pieces. The firm was known mostly as silversmiths but it did produce vast quantities of the finest pewter ware and also was renowned for it sporting accessories such as flasks (hip and powder) and other items. If you go to John's site and click on Dixons of Sheffield the two books are at the top of the page and can be clicked on to open in PDFs format.

I am keen to preserve the memory of these old Sheffield firms and honour the skills of their fantastic craftsman. By the way when Daniel Willett the Sheffield golfer won the US masters in 2016 he was in a sense bringing the trophy home though it never now leaves the club. It was made by James Dixons in the late 1950s.

• 4 years later...

Hoping someone can fill in the gaps from the stamp / marks on the bottom of a James Dixon & Sons teapot  for me that belonged to my great grandmother;

Letter P (any ideas??)

Bugle (I know this was registered trademark after 1879)

EPBM (Electroplated Britania Metal ?)

4186 (catalogue number I think ?)

5 (volume = 5 cups?)

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a while since the last post on here so I thought I'd raise a new one!

My question is specifically whether, based on the "Cornish Pewter" statement on the base as well as the style of maker's mark (1927 approx from all the online research) my tankard is definitely britannia metal and thus lead free, or whether it might still contain ANY element of lead and thus be unsafe to drink.

It's the James Dixon and Sons in a semicircle with all the usual marking - style is showing as 587 for a 1 pint tankard, which is strange too as the usual 587 is 1/2 pint - but hey all good info!

I haven't found anything online to clarify this, despite the really helpful info from PaulineB and others - advice welcomed!

Thanks - over to the hive mind...