Why is Halfway called Halfway?

Lestat

How can it be halfway between Sheffield and Chesterfield? Halfway is in the Sheffield area, not Chesterfield

Whilst I still contend that it is halfway between Sheffield and Clowne, Halfway used to be in Derbyshire, not Sheffield. Local government boundary changes brought it into Sheffield (along with Mosborough, Beighton, etc.).

A google visit hasn't shed any light on all the options being propounded though!

Whilst I still contend that it is halfway between Sheffield and Clowne, Halfway used to be in Derbyshire, not Sheffield. Local government boundary changes brought it into Sheffield (along with Mosborough, Beighton, etc.).

A google visit hasn't shed any light on all the options being propounded though!

Read my post then, it is nothing to do with Sheffield.

Halfway took its name from an inn called "Halfway House" recorded in the eighteenth century.

Most of the places in England called Halfway, and there are seven, plus one called Halfway House and two others called Halfway Houses got their names in the same way, from inns that were halfway between villages or towns and were usually old coaching stops.

Stagecoaches first made their 400-mile journey between London and Edinburgh in 1785. Typically, they were drawn by four or six horses, which were changed about every 15 miles, the coach travelling about 12 to 18 hr a day and covering about 40 miles a day in summer and 25 mile in winter.

http://www.britishpubguide.com/pubs/100201.html

Source: Peter Harvey.

Archived