Looking for Boxing or Martial Arts lessons for 9 year old

steve11111

hi guys

im new here so hi ive just joined this site to ask the qestion

you see my son ben is 9 yrs old but is the size of an 7 yrs old and because of this he keeps getting bullied he is not a fighting boy but i do feel he needs to go to either boxing or some sort of martial arts lessons not to fight people but just to toughen up a bit i thought he would never agree to something like this but after asking him he said hed like to give it a try.

i know what bens like and to make this work hed need to go somewhere freindly in sheffield with kids his own age we live at lowedges but would consider anywhere in sheff

can you guys reccomend any places that will be right for ben?

thanks guys

hi guys

im new here so hi ive just joined this site to ask the qestion

you see my son ben is 9 yrs old but is the size of an 7 yrs old and because of this he keeps getting bullied he is not a fighting boy but i do feel he needs to go to either boxing or some sort of martial arts lessons not to fight people but just to toughen up a bit i thought he would never agree to something like this but after asking him he said hed like to give it a try.

i know what bens like and to make this work hed need to go somewhere freindly in sheffield with kids his own age we live at lowedges but would consider anywhere in sheff

can you guys reccomend any places that will be right for ben?

thanks guys

Nearest one to Lowedges would have to be Marsdens all styles.

They have a class at Graves Tennis and Leisure centre, norton.

They teach an interesting mix of karate and kickboxing.

Simon Marsdens number is :07708 626 749

Simon and his brother Daz are the instructors and their kids train there too.

may be others nearer -but kiveton karate club aims at kids class approx 25-30 of which majority young kids 7-12 girls/boys -friendly place runs tues/fri 6:30 -8:00 £2/session -daughters been there 4 yrs now loves it-anturn up on the night and watch/join in if you want

db

I teach traditinal Karate for Kids in the Intake area, but we may be moving our club soon, we only charg £2 a lesson. I have trained @ marsdens club and daz,Si and John are all very good instructors. If you want more info let me know

Easy Rage

Rage trains anywhere decent :D

He also trains at Royce Gracie BJJ as well as AFK for kickboxing and has been down to Wellington street boxing gym for normal boxing.

Rage and his brother teach a great Karate class at intake.

Both are excellent martial artists with open minds and are great characters with good martial arts ettiquette that is now sadly lacking in many clubs.

unfortunately i think that teaching any little kid a striking martial art to beat bullying is a bad idea. All that will happen is he'll hit the bully who will probably be much bigger who will then hit him back and get his mates to join in. Plus if a teacher see's your son throwing the punch he'll be the one looked at as a bully.

Even though i'm smaller than most i was, LUCKILY, never bullied so i can't even begin to imagine what your son or you goes through. This is just an opinion and in no way a critisism of how you bring up your own child.

I know it sounds obvious but make sure his teachers know about the problem and are prepared to deal with it. Read up on their bullying policy.

Taking a kid to a martial art class because they're quiet or unfit is a great reason. Taking him to one to knock out a bully is just gonna give him the mentality that if anyone does something he doesn't like he can just beat them up. Not saying anyone would turn him into a monster but it is a possibility.

As i say, just my two cents. he's your kid and whatever happens i hope you stop the bullying.

I agree BJJMAN, I'm completely opposed to encouraging schoolkids to try beating each other up but I do think doing martial arts can help give people (kids and adults too) extra confidence that they might be lacking. Even if it just makes you stand up a bit taller or able to run a bit faster it means you're less of an easy target for bullies.

I do taekwondo with PILSUNG. The classes are good fun and really good for fitness, flexibility and generally gaining confidence. I'd recommend it for your nine-year-old Steve11111, especially the Thursday class or the weekend ones as lots of kids usually go to these.

It costs £4 to train. If you want you can just come along and watch a class but there are new beginners all the time so don't be shy!

Monday - 7.45pm Hillsborough Leisure Centre

Wednesday - 6pm, 393 Club, Langsett Road, Hillsborough

Thursday - 6.15pm Concord Leisure Centre

Saturday - 1pm, Hillsborough Leisure Centre

Sunday - 4pm, Hillsborough Leisure Centre

Classes are about an hour and a half long. Wear loose-fitting trousers and tshirt. You don't need shoes but you're allowed to wear taekwondo trainers if you have them.

Several of the better known names in UK martial arts started training as a vicitim of being bullied.

i think it depends on the club - martial arts should be taught along with discipline (i.e. so that people don't go kicking the cr*p out of each other just cos they can), and i think this is particularly applicable for children and young people (i recently saw a group of young lads, boxers, out running and hassling people as they went by - not good).

The skills learned could be useful, but so could the additional fitness (for running away), and added confidence, which in itself can deter a bully.

Archived