Strange thing about SYCI / Mediac project

JCJC

For years we've run our community website (bemvindo.org.uk "Sheffield in Portuguese") and it was originally hosted by SYCI (South Yorkshire Community Information/ Mediac project ) but something strange has happened.

This organisation has apparently left its premises with no forwarding address, emails go unanswered - and we are getting invoiced by ANOTHER organisation for the web hosting.

I'm not sure whether to take their word for it that they are the providers, and it seems odd that SYCI / Mediac never even informed us of the handover.

Anyone cast any light on this please?

Even just a name/number to phone?

Thanks

Jonathan

Sheffield Libraries? That's a thought - thanks for that. Will try phoning.

I never dealt with them face-to-face, it was all done over the internet, so I feel a little bit lost. Also the last communication I had expressed annoyance about the new organisation 'poaching their customers' - so I feel I need an explanation.

Hello,

I also have a web domian name from SCI. I have been invoiced by Grimethorpe electronic village for £65+VAT. These were partners with SCI so am hoping this is a legit invoice. SCI have I believe lost their funding and have been closed down.

On another more worrying note one of the previous employees has been taking money from previous customers and has done a runner. Am not going to give his name here but have it on good authority that the police have been informed and he is not answering any emails.

My recmmenadtion would be to phone Grimethorpe and probably pay them.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound too sensationalist.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting.

I also managed to contact an ex-employee who confirmed that Grimesthorpe (GEVH) are legitimately charging ..BUT WAIT A MINUTE - if you have no need for the support etc. on the £76+ invoice, ask how much for SIMPLY domain registration and hosting.....

I asked GEVH and got a reply from someone there called Darren, who confirmed that we can pay simply £25+VAT per year. He has issued me with an invoice to this value. If anyone wants to see it, please ask me. It says :

http://www.bemvindo.org.uk

Domain registration and hosting only

18 November 2006 to 17 November 2007

TOTAL DUE £29.38

Better than £76 a year !!!!!!?

Archived