The Ashes mega thread.

carcrash

Every first match in Australia that I can remember has gone like this.

It is only one match, and we did lose the first match last year. The difference is that at Lord's last year we did actually play well at times - in this one we have been slaughtered in every department.

When you look at the problems - no Jones, Harmison miles out of form, Giles not having bowled for a year, no Vaughan, no Trescothick it would be a major surprise if we don't lose the series.

I've only watched a bit of the match in the pub - but one thing that strikes me is;

Today Langer & Ponting are taking guard at least two feet in front of the crease to our fast bowlers.

Last night Bell was taking guard with his front foot just in front of the crease and his back foot well behind it to the Aussie quicks - gives them a much better chance of getting an LBW decision - and basically makes it much easier for the bowler to settle into line and length.

Even in "village green" cricket most batsmen will be take guard further down the pitch with the keeper standing back than the England batsmen have been doing - we aren't even getting the basics right.

Archived