The Ashes mega thread.

carcrash

Who dropped Ponting?? was it Giles? I still think Panesar should be in the team..

Giles, when Ponting was on 30 odd - he's a class act. All we need to do now, is take 5 wickets quicly, rattle up another 150 or so, then get the aussies all out inside two days.

A draw I think, this time, then hammer them next test, just in time for Christmas.

Which doesn't outweigh his stupidity in selecting Jones :|

Jones has experience unlike Read at international level.

In my opinion, when Jones gets going with the bat he really can hit them, but Read probably is more consistant.

Im happy to see Jones first choice.

They picked Anderson ahead of Monty because of Harmison's current form. If Harmi had another shocker then it was thought Anderson could be there as back up.

I would have given Monty the nod before Giles...hopefully Ashley's dropped catch will not cost us (ouch)

I think people have forgotten what Duncan Fletcher has done for English cricket in the face of massive opposition...give Duncan a break

Jones has experience unlike Read at international level.

In my opinion, when Jones gets going with the bat he really can hit them, but Read probably is more consistant.

Im happy to see Jones first choice.

The problem is that Jones hasn't got going with the bat in a looong time. He needs a big score and to me it doesn't look like it will be coming soon. I mean even on this pitch he still only managed to get 1.

They picked Anderson ahead of Monty because of Harmison's current form. If Harmi had another shocker then it was thought Anderson could be there as back up.

I would have given Monty the nod before Giles...hopefully Ashley's dropped catch will not cost us (ouch)

I think people have forgotten what Duncan Fletcher has done for English cricket in the face of massive opposition...give Duncan a break

I agree with you that Monty should be playing. Unfortunately Giles drop did cost us about 100 runs.

The thing that confuses me is that England obviously arn't confident in Harmison. At the end of the 3rd day he'd only bowled 13 overs, why pick a bowler if your not going to use him. I know Monty takes some stick on his fielding but with the ball he makes things happen and thats what you need on flat test match wickets. To me i think that there putting to much pressure on Freddie and Hoggy to take wickets.

At the end of the day Duncan Fletcher is the main man when it come to selecting the team and with the teams he's picked so far i think he's deserved all the criticism he's had. Yes he's been one of the best things to happen to English cricket in a long time but people have short memories, its whats happening now what counts.

I won't forget what he has done and if we draw this series I will be out helping build statues of the man but when you see KP spinning and doing more with the ball than your main spinner you have to wonder. Even more so when the so called main spinner has been out for a year, he has had his action remodeled so he spins the ball less than he did before.

Monty can spin the ball, and take wickets, and tie down one end if needs be, and he is something that we and the aussies have not seen on these pitches.

I don't think they should have played 2 spinners on this pitch but the have chose the wrong one.

Giles seems to be in the team for his batting and his fielding rather than his bowling.

Now I've typed this giles will get 6 for 78 and we will win the test just to prove me wrong

Now I've typed this giles will get 6 for 78 and we will win the test just to prove me wrong

Lets hope so. :D

Giles has never been a major threat in test match cricket. He gets picked more for his batting than his bowling. Would you rather have a player who can knock the odd 30-40 runs or someone who can take 5 wickets in a innings,hmmmmm.....

Morning Teabag, morning everybody.

I agree that Monty should have been there, but in all fairness, Harmison should have been there at the expenxe of Anderson. Brisbane is an away team's nightmare, and too much was made of THAT first ball. Harmy on this wicket with his height could make the inevitable uneven bounce show.

Fletcher rescued English (and Irish) cricket, after a lot of time, and I wholly agree with you. 18 months ago, he was a hero ......

The problem is that Jones hasn't got going with the bat in a looong time. He needs a big score and to me it doesn't look like it will be coming soon. I mean even on this pitch he still only managed to get 1.

I'm really divided in my mind on this. I was all for keeping Jones because he can still improve, but the more I see, Read is more consistent both with bat and hands. I really do think it should have been Read now.

I agree with you that Monty should be playing. Unfortunately Giles drop did cost us about 100 runs.

And he hasn't been crucified for a catch ANY Test cricketer should have taken, whereas Monty's detractors would have had the knives out. Monty should have been in, but if we win .........

The thing that confuses me is that England obviously arn't confident in Harmison. At the end of the 3rd day he'd only bowled 13 overs, why pick a bowler if your not going to use him. I know Monty takes some stick on his fielding but with the ball he makes things happen and thats what you need on flat test match wickets. To me i think that there putting to much pressure on Freddie and Hoggy to take wickets.

I'll definitely agree with that. I said all along that this would be the best wicket for Hoggy, but if we're going to keep Harmy in, which I think is right, he needs to bowl more. In fact he is now.

At the end of the day Duncan Fletcher is the main man when it come to selecting the team and with the teams he's picked so far i think he's deserved all the criticism he's had. Yes he's been one of the best things to happen to English cricket in a long time but people have short memories, its whats happening now what counts.

No. We have VERY VERY VERY long memories, and despite some reverses, this is STILL the strongest England side in my lifetime. Agreed, there are some strange decisions, and the follow-on will be avoided very easily, but lets just remember that three draws and a win (Sydney), will ensure The Urn remain ours.

We need wickets quickly now though and Gilchrist is batting in.

Archived