The Ashes mega thread.

carcrash

I'm really divided in my mind on this. I was all for keeping Jones because he can still improve, but the more I see, Read is more consistent both with bat and hands. I really do think it should have been Read now.

I always used to favor Jones over Read but with the way Jones is batting i can't see any justification for him being in the side. The crowd are against him, he know his place in the side is in serious jeopardy and he doesn't look confident at the crease. To me thats not a good combination.

And he hasn't been crucified for a catch ANY Test cricketer should have taken, whereas Monty's detractors would have had the knives out. Monty should have been in, but if we win .........

100% agree with you there. You can almost guarantee that Giles won't make up for that catch by taking a handful of wickets.

No. We have VERY VERY VERY long memories, and despite some reverses, this is STILL the strongest England side in my lifetime. Agreed, there are some strange decisions, and the follow-on will be avoided very easily, but lets just remember that three draws and a win (Sydney), will ensure The Urn remain ours.

We need wickets quickly now though and Gilchrist is batting in.

I agree that this is the strongest England side I've ever seen, especially batting wise. To me we seem to be putting out a team whats a bit to defensive. I can understand why Fletcher is doing this but bowling wise i think we need to take the game to Australia more.

Draw seems likely

Plus points - better batting and shot selection by England. Hoggard was top class and Harmison looks as if he is not far away from good form. Monty has to come back in but apart from that it is job well done after the disaster of the first test.

Looking ahead, possibly to the fourth test - if Vaughan comes back...who goes out?

Lets hope we can have a good last day and build on that for the next test

Benaud is still a top commentator!

Draw seems likely

Plus points - better batting and shot selection by England. Hoggard was top class and Harmison looks as if he is not far away from good form. Monty has to come back in but apart from that it is job well done after the disaster of the first test.

Looking ahead, possibly to the fourth test - if Vaughan comes back...who goes out?

Lets hope we can have a good last day and build on that for the next test

Benaud is still a top commentator!

Benaud is still THE commentator.

If I was Strauss I'd be looking over my shoulder for the fourth test. He'd be a likely candidate for dropping unless he gets a serious score tomorrow or in the 3rd test. His 2 outs in the first test were both very poor shots IMO.

I'd stick with Jones, but bring in Panesar and Mahmood for Giles and Anderson.

Jim:thumbsup:

Archived