The Ashes mega thread.

carcrash

We have avoided the follow on which was my first target for the first innings

Heh heh heh!

We shouldn't say it after one day of the Test, but I'm going to anyway. The key to winning any Test, let alone against this lot, is to take 20 wickets.

Monty has taken more wickets in one day, than the Wheelie Bin did in two Tests.

I'll leave it there.

Great bowling performance by all accounts, with Harmison back on form and Monty showing that he's got the big match temperament. Only blot was Jones dropping Hussey on 5, though he did manage to hold on to the Symonds catch, at the second attempt (apparently - I haven't seen these things yet). Still, that just means he'll be all the more anxious to make amends for it with the bat - especially after scoring 0, as against Read's 59 not out, in the warm-up match.

I think it was Freddie who dropped him, but I was a little 'tired and emotional' by that point, and may have misheard TMS. I've seen the Symondscatch, and to be fair, he took it well in the end.

I don't know how much Read has to do, or how bad Jones has to get, before Read gets selected. I have a nasty feeling that as it hasn't happened by now, it's never going to happen.

Agreed about Read. It's not so much that he's won me over, as I've totally lost the faith I had in Jones. I'd given up on him before the First Test to be honest, but this has to absolutely, totally, unerringly, irrevocably, utterly be the his last chance saloon.

Sounds like there's plenty of bounce in the pitch though, for both quicks and slow bowlers. Crucial day tomorrow!

A big total hopefully ........

I would say 400 would be a decent score. Perth is one of those grounds where the team batting second seems to win more often than not.

We need two batters to make centuries and two more to stick around

Pleased to see Harmison hit a bit of form - keep giving him the new ball and he will hit top form.

I would say 400 would be a decent score. Perth is one of those grounds where the team batting second seems to win more often than not.

I was sad enough to go to HowSTAT! and research this, so here goes ......

33 Tests played at the WACA

19 Australia wins

7 Tourist wins

7 draws

11 wins for the side batting first

15 for the side batting second

10 Tests involving England

1 England win

6 Australia wins

3 draws

England's win achieved batting first

2 Australia wins v England, when batting first

4 Australia wins v England, when batting second

In all 3 draws England batted first

Most of the recent Tests with a definite outcome have been won by the side batting second, however. The main thing I noticed was how wide the margins of victory tended to be.

2 victories of 150-199 runs

4 victories of 200+ runs

6 victories of 7 wickets or more

11 victories of an innings or more

23 victories from 26 matches with a definite outcome there; 21 which would undoubtedly be described as crushing victories.

Yours,

The Bearded Wonder

Archived