Identify classical music from TV advert

goldenfleece

Theres a current TV ad for a new classical music compilation, its been on all the time this week....featured on it is a beautiful piece of music that used to be used in the DULUX dog/paint adverts back in the 70's/80's.....anyone know what I mean? Strings arrangement, maybe BACH or GRIEG but not sure of title

Theres a current TV ad for a new classical music compilation, its been on all the time this week....featured on it is a beautiful piece of music that used to be used in the DULUX dog/paint adverts back in the 70's/80's.....anyone know what I mean? Strings arrangement, maybe BACH or GRIEG but not sure of title

Its 'Jupiter' from the 'Planets' by Gustav Holst.

goldenfleece -

I haven't seen the advert, but one of the most used pieces of music used in adverts is Pachelbel's Canon in D.

It has a descending melody and has been 'sampled' in many a pop record (one of the most recent being Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio - Oct 1995).

Other songs featured prominently in adverts are Bach's Air on a G String and of course, the Hovis advert which uses the second movement from Antonin Dvorak's 9th Symphony (commonly known as the New World Symphony) and one of my favourite pieces of classical music.

I haven't seen the advert, but one of the most used pieces of music used in adverts is Pachelbel's Canon in D.

It has a descending melody and has been 'sampled' in many a pop record (one of the most recent being Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio - Oct 1995).

Pedant alert!

Pachelbel's Canon's chord sequence was neither sampled nor was the chord structure borrowed on "Gangsta's Paradise". The chord sequence however was used on Coolio's latter hit "See You When You Get There", but perhaps is best known as a consequence of Village People's "Go West", later covered by the Pet Shop Boys and familiar on football terraces as "One Nil To The (Whoever)"....

Archived