Sheffield Anglers

Sheffield has more keen anglers than the rest of the country...True or False??

When I was a lad I used to go with my Dad to angling matches...at six o clock on Sunday mornings the Midland Station was crowded with Anglers off to compete in various matches such as the Stones Brewery Match on the river Whytham ..Special trains were put on to take these keen fishermen to their hunting grounds..It was a massive event.. Do's this sort of thing continue today in Sheffield?.

Where the Firshill estate was built in the early 1970,s was all allotments,I used to go up there on a Sunday morning and buy a bunch of flowers to take to my mother,they also had an annual show on where is now the car park at the Sportsman where the had a big marquee to show the exhibits

Timbuck there are still a lot of anglers in Sheffield, but these days they dont have to go down to Pond Street to catch the S.U.T. coaches that used to take them down to Lincolnshire for the big fishing matches on the Witham and Welland. Now there are plenty of commercial fisheries stuffed with fish close to home so a lot of anglers can go and sit in an artificial muddy puddle and keep hauling tame fish all day long. The days of getting up in the early hours and making sandwiches filling the flask and catching the bus down into town to make sure you got a seat on the coach and didn't have to sit for 3 hours in the aisle on your basket have long gone.

• 6 years later...
I didn't know of any good fishing spots at Firshill??.

i fished the firshill allotment ponds has a kid we called them the seven ponds for because there was seven ponds one pond held a large tench with one eye which i was lucky to catch there was also a private pond on barnsley rd now a nature pond we used to sneak in and fish it and get chased of many times

I once read a book about what would happen if there was a nuclear war and how to evacuate a city. The author was told to go to Sheffield on the opening day of the fishing season and watch how the city was cleared in less than an hour.

i fished the firshill allotment ponds has a kid we called them the seven ponds for because there was seven ponds one pond held a large tench with one eye which i was lucky to catch there was also a private pond on barnsley rd now a nature pond we used to sneak in and fish it and get chased of many times

Weren't the Fishill /7 ponds part of Roe Woods ? The Private pond on Barnsley Rd was the Crabtree Pond, as kids we heard tales of fish in there called carp, but they were just myths and we'd never catch a carp. Now my grandson catches them every time he goes fishing with me.

The train from Midland Staion early in the morning that took all the anglers was the "milk train" and it used to stop at every station from Lincoln to Boston. Southrey, Stixwould, 5 mile House, Bardney, Kirkstead, Tattershall, Hubberts Bridge, etc. The S.U.T. coaches would make the first stop around Dunham Bridge, and cover the Trent and Witham, plus the Fossdyke at Saxilby.

Weren't the Fishill /7 ponds part of Roe Woods ? The Private pond on Barnsley Rd was the Crabtree Pond, as kids we heard tales of fish in there called carp, but they were just myths and we'd never catch a carp. Now my grandson catches them every time he goes fishing with me.

The train from Midland Staion early in the morning that took all the anglers was the "milk train" and it used to stop at every station from Lincoln to Boston. Southrey, Stixwould, 5 mile House, Bardney, Kirkstead, Tattershall, Hubberts Bridge, etc. The S.U.T. coaches would make the first stop around Dunham Bridge, and cover the Trent and Witham, plus the Fossdyke at Saxilby.

GOT CHASED OFF CRABTREE POND/WOODS MANY TIMES are the 7 ponds still there? did not know they had fish in em but had plenty of frogs and toads...:hihi:

Archived