Sheffield Anglers

Sheffield has more keen anglers than the rest of the country...True or False??

When I was a lad I used to go with my Dad to angling matches...at six o clock on Sunday mornings the Midland Station was crowded with Anglers off to compete in various matches such as the Stones Brewery Match on the river Whytham ..Special trains were put on to take these keen fishermen to their hunting grounds..It was a massive event.. Do's this sort of thing continue today in Sheffield?.

I started my fishing life at Aston Ponds, Dam Flask and then to Licolnshire.

Torksey, Coronation Cut, Hubberts bridge on the 40 foot, the Trent and many more places. I can remember going in my dads Morris Oxford (green) at 4.30 am. We had 3 other of his mates and all the tackle in the boot including a gallon of maggots. The one problem as an excited 11 year old the night before I opened the tin and did not put the lid back properly.

On arriving all the tackle was removed from the boot, but the tin of maggots was only half full.

It took weeks to get rid of the blue bottle flies in the car and to this day I allways make sure the lid on the maggots is secure.

Fishing is the most relaxing pastime and many days over the years you catch nothing, so what 2 keep nets 1 for the fish you might catch and the oter to keep the cans cool.

Happy Days

I once read a book about what would happen if there was a nuclear war and how to evacuate a city. The author was told to go to Sheffield on the opening day of the fishing season and watch how the city was cleared in less than an hour.

HaHaHa---.Dido--- Classic-- but I heard it could be done in forty five minutes if the Bream were on feeding spree!:hihi:

Archived