Firshill

I went to Firs Hill school. Left in 1972. Remember Mr Cox as headteacher and Mrs Vaughan as deputy head

I was at Firshill Infants & Jnrs, left in 1977. Mrs Vaughan was head & Mr Woodcock was deputy then. Any of you remember Mr Marshall? Could be a nasty bugger, but also funny at times.

I'd forgotten about the cricket pitch, greybeard.we used to watch the cricket occasionally.most time was either spent fishing or swinging from "tarzan ropes" in the wood further over towards the northern general entrance. once camped out with my school buddies in the area between the ponds and the woods,3 tents 8 lads, had a good time till the police came to collect one of the lads, he didn't have permission to stay out from his mom...we laughed about it all night

The plantation was the small wooded area at the front of the school which bordered Barnsley Road. It was separated from the school by railings, there was one missing which left a space and the girls constantly hung upside down by their knees in the gap.:D

Thanks for the info i no exactley were you mean now

I was told that in the woods there was the remains of some type of old fortress from the bronze age or somthing like that just wondered if anybody else knows anything about this or have i been told a myth

Not seen anything in detail but Mary Walton mentions an iron age camp in Roe Wood.

was there any bomb damage in the firshill area because i can remember two areas of waste ground one on passhouses road and the other on scott road they both have new blocks of flats on them now could never understad why these spaces were empty

Did they use to play cricket on the sportsground at the back of the allotments ?

Greybeard, they played cricket as well as football on the Atlas & norfolk sports ground, it belonged to Firth Brown's, which was known as the Atlas works, or they rented it from the Duke of Norfolk, hence the name A & N.

There were 7 ponds alright as dadoronron said, I don't know where the missing one came from, I remember a pub was built on the footy ground, but that was after my time.

During my time on the Shirecliffe, they built masonettes in the woods [ Busk Meadow] behind a big old rambling house called Bishopholme, then some years later, more house's were built in the woods.

I'm not sure about nowadays, but when I was a kid, we could walk from Firshill to the sports fields, go across Shirecliffe Rd to where an old army barracks & gun emplacement was at the top of Cookswood Rd, then walk over empty land right down to where the Wednesday ground is at the bottom of Herries Rd, we called that area the meadows, I think they turned parts of that area into a tip at some time, the meadows were between the Shirecliffe & Parkwood Springs. That was in the good old days, when kids could go out in a morning and only go home at teatime without parents worrying.