Firshill

I was at Firshill Infants & Jnrs, left in 1977. Mrs Vaughan was head & Mr Woodcock was deputy then. Any of you remember Mr Marshall? Could be a nasty bugger, but also funny at times.

Remember teachers like Mr Blades, Miss Hobson who married and was called Mrs Lingard, Mr Stubbs, Bogey Rodgers.

Remember teachers like Mr Blades, Miss Hobson who married and was called Mrs Lingard, Mr Stubbs, Bogey Rodgers.

It's been a while, but remember Mrs Lingard. Was in her form in my last year. And Old Man Rogers playing the piano & us singing along.......

It's been a while, but remember Mrs Lingard. Was in her form in my last year. And Old Man Rogers playing the piano & us singing along.......

Also I remember a Mrs Crossley, MrsSutton Mrs Wright and others though I do not remember if they were from infants or not. Mr Walker who did music

I was brought up in pitsmoor in the 60's..used to go in to the woods loads of times to get frogs and stuff..was a great time.

Then they build the houses that are there now.!

My mum tried to move there but was told that the waiting time then was years.!

She and her 2 sisters,and brother eventually ended up moving there in the 90's.!

jt

There were tiny miners cottages on Passhouses Road running off forming a little close. I think they were still there in the 60s.

I remember falling into the one of the seven ponds whilst my brother was fishing and ending up with a pocket full of tadpoles. He shouted at me that I was scaring the fish and I had to walk all the way home dripping wet by myself.

I went horse riding at Roe Woods. Was McCormick's house split into flats?

• 3 months later...

My great grandfather James Clarke, helped to set up the Atlas Sports club, he was a manager at Firth Browns (Vickars). His interests were football, cricket and fishing.

Also known as Jim Smith in the footy world, played for wednesday around 1890's at Olive grove.

In fact, my fathers family has lived in the burngreave/pitsmoor area since around 1700's.

Orphanage road was so called because it was an 'orphaned' road, or so I thought till I came across this snippet -

"A girls orphanage was originally built on the site of what is now Firs Hill School. It was opened in 1887 but then moved to another site in 1895." I am still to check the old map about this.....