Is it true that Lionel Ritchie originally comes from Grenoside?

buffy2006

Well you never know.

I read in NME years ago that it was during a delivery he was making to Sheffield in 1978 (he worked for Courage Brewery in Tadcaster) that he was inspired to write Three Times A Lady. Due to the snow his lorry shed its load on Lady's Bridge (a number 88 bus skidded turning into Blonk Street).

Struggling with a firkin of Magnet, ol' Lionel came across the idea for a song: 'When we are together the moments I cherish,' he pined. He went back to Tadcaster and wrote the song the same night, giving the locals in The White Horse in Taddy the complete version that Saturday evening. (Incidentally, Barry Manilow was playing that same night but Lionel and Barry never even met each other.)

The story about Lionel coming from Grenoside is obviously wrong. His deliveries took him to the Red Lion and in 1984, he crashed his truck into a blind woman crossing the A61. As she lay on the road, he knelt down and shouted 'Hello? Is it me you're looking for?'

Incredibly, it was. The lady, Thelma Barstools (Scorpio, aged 43) was a big Commodores fan. By way of saying sorry, Lionel took Thelma to A & E (then at Hallamshire) and waited whilst she was checked over. She, wanting to say sorry for being such a pain, insisted she buy Lionel some Rich T biscuits (Lionel RichT? Geddit?) and so after she'd collected her blind person's allowance from Grenoside post-office, they met back in the Red Lion where Thelma bought Lionel Richie a cup of tea with a Rich T biscuit. Thelma, a registered alcoholic (hence the accident at the A61) had a quadruple gin sling.

The then landlord of the Red Lion Michael Porkscratchings went on to work at the Star. One Christmas whilst removing the embarrassing photographs from his collection taken during a leaving-do party which had taken place in his pub, he came across the picture that Lionel had signed when he met Thelma for a cuppa way back in 1984.

Short for news, he published the article and I think this is why the OP must have got confused and thought Lionel Richie was born in Grenoside.

He went back to Tadcaster and wrote the song the same night, giving the locals in The White Horse in Taddy the complete version that Saturday evening

He did have a problem with a difficult key change whilst playing the song but he stayed up all night and he found it easy on a sunday morning.

Archived