Is it true that Lionel Ritchie originally comes from Grenoside?

buffy2006

Big John made joke about Lionel Ritchies' tour been called "The Coming Home Tour" then went on to say he was from Grenoside. I'm sure of it were true the people of Grenoside would be Dancin' On The Ceiling and staying up All Night Long to celebrate his home coming.

He was, he wrote the song "All along the watchtower" about Kepel's column in thorpe.

Jimi Hendrix did indeed come from Thorpe Hesley you are right, but for some reason he chose to attend Gleadless Valley School on Matthews Lane. He had heard that the guitar lessons were some kind of hot **** at the time. If you don't believe me, he has left his profile under this school on FriendsReunited.

My brother also told me that he was a personal friend of Tom Baker. He originally wrote 'All Along the Watchtower' in the working title of 'All Along The Booktower' as a tribute to his wacky scarf-wearing friend. This was of course until Bob Dylan (as mentioned in a previous post), was writing his song 'All Along The Watertower'. So Jimi thought he'd better make a compromise, as he didn't want to appear as though he was ripping anybody off. (A sin he considered worse than murder itself).

I also heard that 'Stairway To Heaven' was inspired by the stairs that led up to the balcony seats in the REX Cinema at Intake. Jimmy Page, who was a closet friend of Joe Elliott back in the early days, was invited to a viewing of 'The Godfather in 1972 with t'old Joe. Jimmy revealed to Joe Elliott that it was one of the quaintest and most characteristic cinemas he had ever attended, and that the balcony seats were just the best, 'Just like heaven' he was believed to have commented. He was however a little daunted by the red brick tunnel thing, that was built on the side of the cinema, that made a sinister low rumbling noise. So much so, that he asked Joe if he wouldn't mind going to the toilet with him as he felt a bit nervous. He had been wriggling in his seat for an hour before plucking up the courage to ask Joe to go with him. Thus exposing his cowardice.

BUT LIONEL RICHIE FROM GRENOSIDE?! THAT'S JUST PLAIN SILLY! (damn funny though!)

• 2 years later...
Big John made joke about Lionel Ritchies' tour been called "The Coming Home Tour" then went on to say he was from Grenoside. I'm sure of it were true the people of Grenoside would be Dancin' On The Ceiling and staying up All Night Long to celebrate his home coming.

Lionel Richie — Place of Birth: Tuskegee, Alabama

according to google

Early years

Born in Tuskegee, Alabama, Richie grew up on the campus of Tuskegee Institute. His grandfather's house was across the street from the home of the president of the Institute. His family moved to Illinois where he graduated from Joliet Township High School, East Campus, in Joliet. A star tennis player in Joliet, he accepted a tennis scholarship back at Tuskegee Institute and later graduated with a major in economics.

Lionel Richie — Place of Birth: Tuskegee, Alabama

according to google

Early years

Born in Tuskegee, Alabama, Richie grew up on the campus of Tuskegee Institute. His grandfather's house was across the street from the home of the president of the Institute. His family moved to Illinois where he graduated from Joliet Township High School, East Campus, in Joliet. A star tennis player in Joliet, he accepted a tennis scholarship back at Tuskegee Institute and later graduated with a major in economics.

They've changed that since this thread was started back in 2006! In actual fact Lionel recently admitted in an interview with Radio Shropshire to promote his forthcoming arena tour that the main reason he was playing Sheffield Arena was to do a homecoming show for the friends he used to hang around with in the Hillsborough area when he was growing up in Grenoside.

He also admitted that his hit "All Night Long" was inspired by news of the first 24 hour petrol station opening in High Green in 1982 - the song was intended to be used as an advertising jingle but BP garages already had a contract with Leo Sayer to do all theirs.

Hope that helps!

Archived