Advice on mercedes vans

hi,after a kind old lady wrote my van off i am now looking for a new one!!!

i like the look of the mercedes vito 108 has anyone got any views on them good or bad..and what to look out for, common faults etc

or any ideas on similar size vans.

cheers si.

I just bought myself a 51 plate Vito - but only owned it since Monday so can't give a first hand answer, although many of my mates drive them and love them. I had a VW T4 Transporter for the last 5 years (in fact, it's still on the drive if you are interested! ;))

The Vito is a great van to drive. Handles really nicely and in my opinion, is one of the most stylish looking vans on the road. Quick lowdown - handles great, quite quick, body can rust and brakes a bit mushy. Look for full service history as turbos can blow if not maintained and driven hard.

If I were you, I'd try really hard to get a 110 CDi rather than the 108. The 108 is a shade underpowered. The CDi version has timing chain instead of belt so no worries on when the belt was last changed!

They change hands fast as they are desirable vehicles. Good luck getting a nice one!

gravity-slave

is the 110 the same size van with a bigger engine?

and does the cdi timing belt bit apply to all vito range or just 110.

which one did you end up with and how much did you pay for it?

sos lots of questions!!!!!

cheers ..

gravity-slave

is the 110 the same size van with a bigger engine?

and does the cdi timing belt bit apply to all vito range or just 110.

which one did you end up with and how much did you pay for it?

sos lots of questions!!!!!

cheers ..

Mercedes vans - 108/110 hmm....Thats the speed they pass you on the motorway isnt it?

I've been told that the gearbox can fail often needing replacement, oh and I noticed that they seemed to have more rust than other vans of the same age when I was looking at them.

It's the same as many things, some people swear by them yet others say don't touch them with a barge pole.

mgbalde,

Vito refers to the body size, the number is the engine size.

There are 108, 110, 112 and 113 variants in the 'older' body style and the newer ones have higher numbers - 109, 111 etc.

The 110 and 112 have a different/bigger turbo system than the 108. 110 is often seen as the best compromise between power, economy and performance. I think it's 102bhp as standard (can chip to 150 if that's your thing - just upgrade the brakes and springs first!). The 112 flies and the 113 is a V6 petrol engine, if you can afford to run fill it up!

I have a 110CDi and in metallic silver and it's wicked. I use it as a camper and for throwing bikes in as well as a daily commute to a desk job but am loving it so far.

As mentioned, check for rust and service history. They can have their problems - but what doesn't? VW Transporter 2.4D (non turbo) for thirsty but bullet proof round-the-clock miles and Vito for style and performance.

For pricing, try the van section on http://www.autotrader.co.uk but be prepared to hang on and travel for a good Vito. Mine took about 6 months to find a 'minter' with full history for the right price - and I had to go to Liverpool to get it.

• 4 years later...

Archived