Jehovahs Witness conference in Hellaby.

They have respected my choice not to be a JW although they would always welcome me with open arms.

I thought they totaly dissowned you if you choose to leave the faith ?

An ex JW I know hasn't spoken to anyone in her family for 15 years, thats a bit more extreme than simply "not welcoming her with open arms" ?

Unless you need a blood transfusion, or value knowledge based enquiry.

Apparently they've softened a little on that stance; one can receive the individual components of blood, ie plasma or white cells, but not simultaneously!

I thought they totaly dissowned you if you choose to leave the faith ?

An ex JW I know hasn't spoken to anyone in her family for 15 years, thats a bit more extreme than simply "not welcoming her with open arms" ?

According to what I have read, JW apostates are disliked and shunned by their former "brothers and sisters", the extent of which may vary depending on the country they live in.

Once, out of sheer curiosity, I attended a meeting at a local Kingdom Hall and I found the activities very Americanised, ie one was weaving around the congregation with a microphone asking questions relating to the Bible and receiving stock answers in a similar style to the ones at the end of each article in their Watchtower booklet.

Apparently they've softened a little on that stance; one can receive the individual components of blood, ie plasma or white cells, but not simultaneously!

I didn't know that. What a shame all those people died because they hadn't interpreted the bible correctly for all those years.

I didn't know that. What a shame all those people died because they hadn't interpreted the bible correctly for all those years.

It's because they've received so much criticism over this issue that they finally decided to do something about it.

Apparently, some JW doctors have developed ways to carry out certain surgical operations without tranfusions, which is good because it is true that there is an element of risk due to infection, but there again there is always risk with any surgical procedure, transfusion or not.

It's because they've received so much criticism over this issue that they finally decided to do something about it.

Ah, and there was me thinking it might have been a re-appraisal of the bible, or a divine revelation. Turns out it was something imposed by the marketing department!

Ah, and there was me thinking it might have been a re-appraisal of the bible, or a divine revelation. Turns out it was something imposed by the marketing department!

In a way, yes, but there was a political furore a few years back concerning the JWs and the UN.

The Watchtower's legal department actually signed up to the UN in New York (just across the river from their headquarters) as an NGO, ostensibly to use the UNs library. However, as we know, they have scorned the UN for the past 80 years or so (Devil's work etc) so consequently they kept this secret from their members until an article was published in a London newspaper revealing the UN membership. Now the story was out they withdrew their membership like a shot from a gun and the ensuing excuses are a fascinating read. A bit more about it here:

http://4jehovah.org/jehovahs-witness-united-nations.php

That whole website is very interesting - thanks for the link.

I have sent an email full of questions to my contact at the East Pennine Assembly Hall at Hellaby, so hopefully it's just a matter of waiting for his God to tell him how to answer them now.

I can't tell you how excited I am at the thought of being 'saved'!

The Jehovah Witnesses are a pretty friendly bunch, that said the Hare Krishnas are also a very friendly bunch, mind you haven't had the time nor inclination to speak to them at length

I don't think telling complete strangers there is nothing you can learn from talking to them is a good way to make new friends, is it?