Recommended - Chez Lahlou Restaurant

sheffchick

depends what you call good food doesn't it?

I've been. I wasn't expecting haute cuisine but the food wasn't very good I'm afraid. If you want to get really stuffed with average fare then it will please you no end. I'd be careful about assuming it will be "a treat". And be prepared to wait hours for your meal.

On the plus side, you'll leave feeling absolutely stuffed and won't have spent much money.

That should please a lot of people no doubt.

depends what you call good food doesn't it?

I've been. I wasn't expecting haute cuisine but the food wasn't very good I'm afraid. If you want to get really stuffed with average fare then it will please you no end. I'd be careful about assuming it will be "a treat". And be prepared to wait hours for your meal.

On the plus side, you'll leave feeling absolutely stuffed and won't have spent much money.

That should please a lot of people no doubt.

I don't think anyone expects Michelin standard. It's good honest food. I've eaten at Michelin star before, and yeah this wasn't that. But it was good grub. 'Good food' has to be taken in context.

agree will, totally.

You have to judge a place against the standard of the class which it falls within. It would be ridiculous, for example, to compare the food at Chez Lalou with Marco @ Milano's for example.

I'd put Chez Lalou in the same category as many of those cheap eateries that are on London Road. And within that class I'd say it's average - no better or no worse than most of the others in that bracket.

We've booked to go next week so I'll report back.

Some of the reviews I've seen are mixed and I'm not particularly enamored by the idea of chicken wings as an appetizer, free or not. A lot of the reviews are quite old though so I'm happy to take a chance.

Plus I feel guilty for having lived within spitting distance for years but never going in.

I always like to support local businesses too rather than the big chains.

I read the reviews before I went too, some of the reviews I found quite odd, but you can make your own mind up. I'd highly recommend the shin of lamb. Extremely tender, melt in the mouth meat! And the chicken wings were yum!