Recommended - Chez Lahlou Restaurant

sheffchick

We've never been back since our one and only visit.

I'd really, really, really like to like the place. I like to support independent local businesses. I love the homely feel and the rustic charm...but we've never been back, which says everything really.

Same with Hestia in Crookes. It looked promising and we were pleased somewhere new had opened, and it was cheap....really cheap because you take your own wine and there's no corkage charge. But, after one visit we still haven't been back. It wasn't awful...it was just a bit naff. I'm sorry, but leaving the Tesco sticker on the aubergine..please! It's not hard to take the label of a vegetable before serving it. I pointed it out to the owner and he just shrugged.

It's madness. People are still going out to eat, why are some businesses so inept at taking our money from us, when all we want to do is give it to them? Consumers really don't ask for much. Friendly and efficient service, a nice atmosphere, decent food and drink and a reasonable price. 4 things to get right. 4, that's all. 4.

Exasperated

I'm sorry, but leaving the Tesco sticker on the aubergine..please! It's not hard to take the label of a vegetable before serving it. I pointed it out to the owner and he just shrugged.

Seriously? Oh my! I would have had a field day with that!

I'm sorry, but leaving the Tesco sticker on the aubergine..please! It's not hard to take the label of a vegetable before serving it.

We observed the manager of a certain Italian restaurant in Crookes buying dry pasta in the Co-Op one evening. I wasn't under the impression that they made their own or anything but, for some reason, knowing it is Co-Op pasta does take the gloss off a little!

Even though I love Italian food, I very rarely go to Italian restaurants unless I fancy a good pizza, because I'm vegetarian so the options are generally pizza or pasta and however good a pasta dish is, it's never really any better than something I could make myself at home in about 10 minutes so it just doesn't feel like anything special!

Re Taxman's comment about supporting local businesses - the thing is, there are hundreds of fantastic restaurants in Sheffield for us to support, so why would we choose to support one that's not very good when there are so many really good ones? Some restaurants really need to make a bit more effort, it baffles me how some of them manage to stay in business.

We were still slightly hysterical even after we got home and had a takeaway to make up for the lack of food at the restaurant...it was as though someone was trying to show off all the things that restaurants really shouldn't do, I didn't think places like that actually existed, especially ones that have been in business as long as Chez Lahlou has!

Oh, yes they do and sometimes they are still as good as when they first started but an awful lot are still living in the 70's/80's with the same portions and standards....but then again there are still places poping up that are new that are serving crap, overated food.

• 2 years later...
I know this is an old thread, but has anybody been to Chez Lahlou recently, due to go next month but would like to know what to expect and what was the food like.

I went about a week ago. Same old same old..

Massive amounts of food. DON'T have a starter. You will end up with a take home wrapped in foil.

It's good but I question the need for such masses of food that you can't eat. I'd prefer to have a lot less and pay a bit less. I've never been a fan of cold leftovers for breakfast.

A good tip. Go to the Closed Shop round the corner for a pint before you dine. The pub opposite Lahlou is rubbish.

I went about a week ago. Same old same old..

Massive amounts of food. DON'T have a starter. You will end up with a take home wrapped in foil.

It's good but I question the need for such masses of food that you can't eat. I'd prefer to have a lot less and pay a bit less. I've never been a fan of cold leftovers for breakfast.

A good tip. Go to the Closed Shop round the corner for a pint before you dine. The pub opposite Lahlou is rubbish.

I actually wonder how the restaurant survives given the amount of food they serve and the reputation it has garnered. People now know not to order a starter which cuts their sales by about a third.

Last time I went I got a whole trout, with prawns, as a starter. For about a fiver. If I'm ever starving at least I know where to go for a fill up.