Recommended - Chez Lahlou Restaurant

sheffchick

Chez Lahlou is fantastic, we have been loads of time but don't order any starters as you will not need any as they bring you freebies out such as garlic bread or chicken wings which fill you up even before you have your main course. The portions are massive and we have never had a bad meal there. Well worth a visit. Only down side is that it is tiny inside:)

• 4 weeks later...

Well just got back from there, quite right the meals are large. However not sure I would go back again. Party of 8 and when we started ordering food, some items not available and some we were told had to be ordered at time of booking. As most of us were driving we had soft drinks which were flat and tasted like been stood all day. No lemons,limes and not much choice in alcoholic drinks.

Toilets very old and all plaster falling off walls.

What put me off was watching the waitress packing left over, she dropped her tea towel on the floor then picked it up and carried on using it. After she put the left over in tin foil she wiped the knives on the said tea towel and just put them in draw ready for next setting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We ventured in again last night and had a wonderful evening.

It's very intimate and it was so full last night they were turning people away. If you don't want to strike up a conversation with your neighbour you should consider going elsewhere. Luckily we were sat on the next table to a lovely couple and we chatted throughout the three hours it took to complete the meal.

Now three hours is really a long length of time but we weren't in any rush and you need that time to let the food go down. Considering there is only one cook and one waitress you can see how service could be slow on a busy night.

Once again the chicken wings and garlic bread came out and we promised ourselves we wouldn't have a starter, but then thought garlic mushrooms and avocado prawns can't be very filling can they? They were. The avocado came with prawns, melon and a mountain of smoked salmon. My mushrooms were a main course in itself.

After that I had beef en croute and my OH had tuna. By the end we had 4 doggy bags. We went home with half the chicken wings, half the veggies, some beef, some tuna and some garlic bread.

We only ordered one bottle of wine but got another two glasses on the house.

It was better than my first visit but people should manage their expectations. Don't go if you've got a theatre appointment afterwards and don't go if you want quiet intimacy in which to propose to or split up from a loved one.

The bill came to £60

• 3 weeks later...

Went here on Friday night and it was absolutely super , lovely food and the staff couldnt do enough even moved us to a table nearer the door because THEY thought it was getting a little too warm where we were sat

Would highly recommend