Beighton since 1945,schools, transport etc

eldermanager

I have enjoyed living in Beighton in the last few years, but I dont know much about its history. I borrowed the Beighton local history book from the library a couple of years ago and tried to find out the age of the terrace I live in (its on a very long, popular road) but couldnt turn up anything. I know there is a local history group in Beighton, but havent seen their publications.

I think what I like about it is that it is familiar, as I grew up in a pit village. I am sorry to leave Beighton, but it has become a very popular place to live now and I havent been able to get a house of the size I now need in the village. The schools are both still very good and we are sad that our children wont go all the way through them.

the problem is the village has been overwhelmed by all the changes and redevelopment and i guess your experience won't be unique. I joined the local history group, many moons ago, and it was fascinating that both local and national issues had a direct effect on the village - all the best for the future.

• 3 years later...
:) would anyone like to talk about how the village has changed in the last 50 years. my memories are of a bus every hour, good schools because education was the way out of the pit and poverty and a time when everything seemed to have a certainty missing today

I was born and brought up in beighton, during the times you are tallking about the sheffield route was served by two different companys. sheffield corporation came via frechville and turned round at the bottom of beaver hill/retfordrd where the trams started for sheffield and went back.

Sheffield omibus which was the railways and someone else ran through attercliffe darnall handsworth and woodhouse to beighton where I think they turned round.

So while it was an hourly service to sheffield if you only went part way it was actually 2 hrly.

Other buses through beighton were the east midland who ran chesterfield to rotherham and back along with Rotherham corparation service 10

And finally was Bothh and fisher who ran from killamarsh to worksop

Archived