Mansfield Brewery Pubs

Wards Bears - absolute rubbish - worst pint I have ever tasted, I remember it back in 1959/1964 in Sheffield, not a patch on Tetleys, Whitbreads or Tennants. Does anyone remember that Stones's (Stooenzez) was often called Feytin Beer (Fighting Beer) Very often a could puch up in a Stones's pub on a Friday or Saturday night

Another good beer in addition to Mansfields was Worksop Home Ales.

Long time ago though - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Kuala Lumpur - and we have Tetleys on draught here in some bars.

Wards Beers - absolute rubbish - worst pint I have ever tasted, .

You sir are in danger of offending a lot of people .Wards was nectar of the gods .

Stones needed good upkeep or could develop a stench

Tetleys was ok if it was Leeds Tetleys ,Burton Tetleys was a completely different and un pleasant drink

Whitbreads was like maidens water ,tennants was flat and boring

And yet all would walk the floor when put against the modern day tripe that passes for beer.

Of the modern drinks I like locally brewed Moonshine

And in response to the original question Wadsley Bridge WMC had Mansfield as did the Ozzie Owl at Swillsboro

Sung to the tune "Food Glorious Food"

Ale wonderful Ale Waards Stoonses and Tetleys

day after day I'm takein back empties

gooin home at 11 t neet wide eyed and dreemy

gooin home after a right good feght legless and weiry

ale wonderful ale.

A GOOD OLD BLADES DRINKING SONG

as is the folowing

Stones bitter's creamy white

Wards mecks de have a sh*t

sugar watre is no good tastes like bleeding sooup suds. Sugar water being Whitbreads

An if you see a fella spewin ,dont ask him what hes doin,

Call him Blademan ,cos thats his name.

All the Blademen love their gravy all the Blademen love to spew

cos when you've had a triple gallon it's the natural thing to do

nice an greasy goes down easy and it comes up just the same

so if you see a fellow spew and it's the natural thing to do

call him a Blademan cos thats his name DER DER DER DER :headbang: .

• 4 months later...

Mansfield Brewery Pubs.

I have drank plenty of Mansfield Bitter in the past, but after drinking 5 or 6 pints it gave me the feeling in my guts as if I had eaten a cwt of cooking apples. Heavy stuff.

1. New Inn, Sheffield Road, Hackenthorpe.

When the New Inn (now a vets) closed down in 1959 it’s Mansfield licence was transferred to the Golden P(ul)lover also in Hackenthorpe, I was told. If you go into the vets there are things inside, flooring and counter (bar) that are from the original New Inn pub. Take a look, it’s true.

2. Fulwood Inn, Ranmoor.

This pub is (was) a Mansfield Pub.

3. Francis Newton,Clarkehouse Road, Botanical.

Formerly Aunt Sally pub. This Weatherspoon pub was selling Mansfield hand drawn (pulled) beer in recent times. Also a nice place to eat. Lovely staff, especially Naomi, Lisa and the Laura’s.

4. Trades and Labour Club, Duke Street.

When I came back to Sheffield (fool) in October 1992 I used to do plenty of drinking here, and drank Mansfield bitter. I got to know Richard Cabourn M.P. who used to come in twice weekly, and he used to get the rounds in. He never went to the bar but would give someone (sometimes me) the money to go to the bar. An optimist would say , “ That’s very kind of him”. A pessimist might say “He’s only showing you that he’s got money, and you haven’t”.

5. Howard Hotel (The Howard) Howard Street.

This boozer used to be a Tetley house many years ago. During the mid 90’s I had (still have) in my possession a boat load of brewery ties of various brewerys. One afternoon I went into the Howard wearing a Mansfield Brewery tie. I strolled around doing my best to look official and a barmaid espied my tie and pretended not to. She went through a door at the back of the bar and within a few minutes a bloke (manager) appeared through the door and promptly scanned around, then saw me. The bloke came over to me with a smile and offered his hand which I duly shook. He asked me if everything was alright, and offered me a drink. I said yes to both questions and requested a half of Mansfield Bitter. I received my half, and with glass in hand did some more ‘official strutting’ because I wanted to avoid any questions. I don’t mind misleading, but I didn’t want to start telling lies and ‘damit’ break the law by claiming to be someone I wasn’t.

A short while later I returned my empty glass to the bar and thanked the landlord (manager) and told him to keep up the good work, shook hands again and left (and thought, ‘you can go back upstairs now to watch your telly, pal’).

Once out of sight I slipped my tie off and a short while later I arrived ‘open necked’ at the Surrey Pub (also Mansfield) on Surrey Street opposite the main library. On the steps outside stood Paul the under manager cum bouncer who I knew very well because I was a redler in this pub. Paul was wearing the broadest of grins upon his face and said,”Zakesey, has tha’ just bin in’t Howard abaht ten minutes ago?” I said,”Aah, why”. He said, they’d just received a phone call from the Howard saying there was a bloke from the brewery knocking about. We both burst out laffing then Paul said,”Thar’t a cheeky bleeder thee Zakes, common get thissen in”. I did.

P.S. The tie thing came about when I was chatting with a bloke in a pub in 93-94ish. This fellow was wearing a Stones tie and during our conversation I asked him if he was from the Stones brewery. He said he wasn’t and had acquired his tie from a charity shop. He went on to tell me that he went around Sheffield, Rotherham, and Doncaster and often got free drinks because managers thought he was from the brewery.

Archived