When did you start believing in your Religion?

Lestat

I don't believe in God. God is a measure of control and conformity and in some cases, halts the development of mankind. Some people e.g politicians, try and use God as an appeasement to persaude others to follow suit, to try and keep you on the straight and narrow.

I don't understand why someone would think that there is a god!? It really puzzles me!

Simple, it's the fear of death. Believers need to be reassured that death of the body isn't the the complete end, and that there is somewhere else our souls go. They also want to think that this place is a happy place. Most religions are based on this.

Many preachers then claim to have the 'authority' to promise you that this will happen if you follow their doctrines. Cue fanaticism and bigotry .

Throughout history many tyrants have claimed that their actions were 'the will of God'. Oliver Cromwell is a prime example.

It's funny how this thread was started for those WHO DO BELIEVE to discuss why they believe but THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE just can't help having their say...............

I believe because I chose to when I was an adult - my choice.

I find it a bit sad to read all the negative comments against me and my choice when none of you know me (or others on here who believe).

Simple, it's the fear of death. Believers need to be reassured that death of the body isn't the the complete end, and that there is somewhere else our souls go. They also want to think that this place is a happy place. Most religions are based on this.

Many preachers then claim to have the 'authority' to promise you that this will happen if you follow their doctrines. Cue fanaticism and bigotry .

Throughout history many tyrants have claimed that their actions were 'the will of God'. Oliver Cromwell is a prime example.

Nothing to do with the fear of death here - what I believe affects my every day life and makes it so much better - as you don't know me (or others who believe) it's a bit liberal to claim you know why I believe.

One of the things continually put forward about religion is that 'it has caused more wars' than anything else. It is not religion that does this, but the beliefs of a few fanatics that use religion, as well as colour, and wealth as a means to incite others to war.

I'm not sure if there are figures available that tell the numbers of those people involved in wars who are doing it because of their own beliefs. Most wars are started by a minority who control.

I do not understand the inability of some to accept the possibility of there being a god. This is not the same as accepting there is a god.

we have been over the science versus faith debate again and again, and they never resolve anything. But there is not a line drawn between those who accept faith and those who accept science. Many scientists have faith and many who have faith are scientists.

anyone who is gullible enough to believe that these ere cloud/heaven/sky living beasts exist ought to be in adjoining rooms ... rampton would be a good place ..... heavenly bodies ????

do you seriosly expect folk in this day & age to believe that miles & miles above the earth there is a bloke (maybe a bird) sat there looking down on us all ... occasionally popping down on a celestial escalator & uttering "bless you my child" ... i'd rather believe that norman wisdom will be the next queen of lebanon !!

Thanks! :(

It's funny how this thread was started for those WHO DO BELIEVE to discuss why they believe but THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE just can't help having their say...............

I believe because I chose to when I was an adult - my choice.

I find it a bit sad to read all the negative comments against me and my choice when none of you know me (or others on here who believe).

Well put Finoni.

Archived