Litter, Litter, Litter... what to do?

Originally posted by cruella

Hello all.. i am one of the enforcement officers from the council who is issuing the littering tickets to litter offenders. It is a very good idea and many tickets have been issued upto date.

What is to stop people from giving you false names and addresses? I really don't see how you would know at the time whether they were telling the truth or not and after they had left you it would be too late.

You should have the power to fine the disgusting morons wo spit all over the pavements also.

Never saw any litter enforcement today in the city centre when there was a promotion on giving out bottles of water free, there were dozens of empty bottles scattered round all the way up the moor to the peace gardens.

Do they have to provide any people power to tidy up the mess made or is it ok cos it was sanctioned by the city council, there must have been thousands of bottles given out and if only a small percentage are thrown down it is still a lot of littering.

Companies such as coca cola who were giving the bottles out should have to contribute to street cleaning when they do promotions such as this.

• 3 months later...

I was walking through city centre yesterday and witnessed a grown man casually drop his burger wrapper on the floor. This totally wound me up as I was brought up to be tidy and respect my environment. What can be done to combat such lazy behaviour? I know they have introduced fines, but is that the way to go? I'm all for it especially if the money goes towards the cleaning of the city. Opinions please!!!!!

Hello all.. i am one of the enforcement officers from the council who is issuing the littering tickets to litter offenders. It is a very good idea and many tickets have been issued upto date.

Money that is collected from these fines is ploughed back into Environmental services and goes towards the running of the department. We now have a team of 8 Enforcement officers and we patrol all area's of Sheffield to issue fines to offenders.

>Quote:

>Originally posted by cruella

>Hello all.. i am one of the enforcement officers from the council >who is issuing the littering tickets to litter offenders. It is a very >good idea and many tickets have been issued upto date.

>Money that is collected from these fines is ploughed back into >Environmental services and goes towards the running of the >department. We now have a team of 8 Enforcement officers and >we patrol all area's of Sheffield to issue fines to offenders.

Good work - a large number of people expect someone else to clean up after them and don't mind living in a s***hole! In many cities in Canada the fine for littering is $2000!! Guess how much litter you see in those.....(none).

What would also be good are separate recycling bins for aluminium, plastic etc, similar to many European cities as this would also send out the right message.

Can I suggest the enforcement officers visit Ecclesfield park where they will see a load of schoolkids leaving all their litter strewn around after playing footy on most days of the week.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for the PM btw!!

Anyway, I do think fines are the way forward and hopefully the message will become clear that littering will not be tolerated. I was brought up with the understanding that littering was a very bad thing to do and I will pass this example on to my children (when I get round to having them). The thing is that I see many people out there casually dropping crap and not even battering an eyelid (most are adults who should know better).

Anyway, is there any chance that you could point us to any stats with regards to the amount of people that have been issued with a fine for this offence? Would be interested to see the numbers involved!!!

I find it really annoying too, it's not that hard to put something in a bin, especially in the city centre.

Morrisons carpark though, impossible - we ended up taking the rubbish home but I'm sure many wouldn't

Originally posted by Dick Dastardly

I was walking through city centre yesterday and witnessed a grown man casually drop his burger wrapper on the floor.

You've echoed one of my concerns - it's adults, not just children, who drop much of the litter in the city centre.

It's probably a little too late for school education for the slob...how about forcing litterbugs to clean up the city's streets as part of a community service penalty?

Over 250 peolple have been fined ...and were later proscecuted for the offence...if they diddnt pay the fine!

'Its tough job..but someone has to do it!'

Thanks!

All I can say is well done and keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Off topic... I see that Metallica are well and truly quoted on your sig. :thumbsup:

Archived