Litter, Litter, Litter... what to do?

Sheffield Council has successfully prosecuted three more people for littering the streets of the city resulting in the City’s Magistrates Court handing out fines and costs totalling £500.

Andrew Rowley of Standon Drive was spotted dumping some carpet off-cuts onto a pile of rubbish on Lochier Lane last summer. A local resident took his vehicle registration number, which was traced by the Environment Wardens and he admitted the offence. This was cited in court as being ‘a classic example of rubbish attracting rubbish’. Rowley was fined £150 and £50 costs.

Two other defendants did not attend court and were fined in their absence.

Colin Rogers of Herries Avenue deposited a cellophane wrapper from a cigarette packet on Southey Green Road last June. He was spotted by a warden and given a £50 fixed penalty, but did not pay – even after receiving a reminder.

Margaret Stocks of Foxglove Road, Wincobank discarded a piece of paper used to wipe her mouth after eating fish and chips on Sicey Avenue last August. She was given a fixed penalty notice, but also failed to pay despite receiving a reminder.

Rogers and Stocks both received £100 fines with £50 costs.

Councillor Harry Harpham, the Council’s Cabinet member for Streetscene commented: “I hope the message is getting out loud and clear to anyone considering polluting the city’s environment. With the support of the courts, we aim to make Sheffield a cleaner and greener city for all.”

I hate it when politicians use the law to threaten people.

A fiver wouldn't be enough. There are too many people who can't be bothered to put their litter in the bin and its simply not good enough. I was brought up not to litter and can honestly say I never have in my life. I think its a filthy habit and shows laziness and complete disregard for others and property. Yet too many people quite happily litter the streets - I doubt anyone on here will admit it, just like with speeding, yet so many do it that I find it impossible to believe that no-one on here does.

You're too right wing. It ia far from the truth that conservatives are reserved and don;t like to hinder others.

I pick up any litter thats reasonably near my house; theres a nice grassed area next to the house and just across the road, any obvious litter there and I'll go and pick it up. Some people look at me funny when I do this but I think everyone should do it.

Archived