What is the most difficult language to learn?

Originally posted by "Chloe"

I started learning sign language a long time ago... at primary school to be honest, carried on learning for a while... got the basics. But how the hell do I get on to a course?? Halevan... where did you learn?? I find it easy to pick things up quickly and really loved learning Sign Language. I'm also going to be qualified as a nursery nurse in July, so I'm sure it would come in handy somewhere there! Any help anyone??

Chloé

There is a self learning CD you can buy to help you learn sign language.

• 2 months later...

:) I (as a Chinese) totally agree with Foxxx, that the pronounciation is very important in some language. Chinese as a example, many different words share the same pronounciation, e.g, / shu / means 'book', also means 'tree' or etc..., but in English, / buk / only means 'book'. I think that's why they

" give you a complete glazed over blank look ", because they misunderstand due to your wrong pronounciation.

There was recent news on BBC about 'why Chinese is one of the most difficult languages in the world', they said that Chinese use two sides of the human brain to speak while many others just use one side. :o But I can not feel that one side of my brain stops running when I speak English.

Actually , I personally think how difficult a language is to learn depends on the leaners from different countries. For you maybe it's easy to learn French, German.. but not for us.

i agree with geoffbowen....being an indian...i can understand how difficult it is to learn hindi or sanskrit...if u know only english....but since i knew sanskrit....german was pretty easy to learn since the grammar bases of both are almost similar..!!!

As a student of the English language and fluent in the Sheffield language, I think that ALL languages are difficult to learn.

Seriously though, Chinese, Japanese, and the like, also Russian must be diabolical to get your head round.

However any language can be easily learned by a child, is this significant? and why should a baby be able to speak any one of them.

There doesn't appear to be a website detailing this but I know they provide sign langauge lessons. They run courses during the day time a few afternoons a week. I cannot be sure if it still going though. Give them a ring and they will point you in the right direction.

Sheffield Central Deaf Club

2 Surrey Place, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S1 2LP

Telephone: 0114 275 5307

As you leave the Library main entrance in town centre, look to the left and the building on the corner is what you are after.

Archived