Does anybody rememember Hyde Park Dog Track?

Clare Hacket

I lived at 66 derwent row in 81 and 82 and our balcony overlooked the dog track - it was wonderfully decrepit - decaying corrugated asbestos (i think), ancient bulb lamps hanging from wires, filthy concrete terraces - went there a few times and loved it. knocked down early 80s probably - a lovely old health hazard

It was definitely gone by 1982/3, when I lived on hyde park. My flat was above the Target pub, overlooking the playground which replaced the dog-track.

My lad went to the nursery at Saint Johns School just the other side of the track. On the way home from school/ nursery, we'd stop off at the playground, and he would play on the equipment there.

I do remember watching the dog races, in the evening, as we walked along the landing, back in the late sixties to early seventies, when we were visiting at my aunts place on Lord Row. She moved out in late 1974 if I remember rightly. (my cousin was about 18 months to 2 years old is how I am reckoning the approximate date)

• 2 weeks later...
What year did you live on Dacre row and do you remember The Wilsons and their

next door neigbour the D'says think thats how you spell it .also any chance you can email me them photos of the sports day please ;)

I remember them both and the deans,the wheelers,white houses ,the renshaws , the doyles curries, humpheries. Wasn't he eldest del say Martin? They were Catholic i lived on dacre for 15 years from 1964. Went to wybourn then hurl field.

My brother in law kept the Samuel Plimsole pub on Hyde Park Bill and Lily Hatton. we once held a sports day on the old dog track, got some photos somewhere of the event.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 09:39 ----------

TO Gingablade regarding Hyde Park Dog track photos my email is bazzac70@hotmail.com. Regards Bazza.

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 08:22 ----------

Dear Allthegearno, could you please email me your photos or Hyde Park,I have a couple of photos when Samuel Plimsoll held ther sports day there early 60s.my email is [ bazzac70@hotmail.com]