Polish Community in Sheffield

Originally posted by StatisTYKE

Is anyone part of it? Does anyone have Polish parents who settled here after WW2. My father was Polish and in Barnsley in 1946. I'm attempting to write a book about his life, so any other Polish experiences/ stories welcome.

Hello,

I was intrigued by the fact that we have a honory polish consulate. There is more about Sheffield's polish community here.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/projects/pc/

--

lucasdigital

Don't know anything about the Polish community, but I remember going a couple of times to the Polish Ex-servicemens Club on the corner of Ecclesall Road and Dover Road. I was only 17, and thought I could drink, but the amounts of Vodka these guys could drink amazed me. This was in 1956.

• 1 year later...

Oldtimer ,

At almost exactly the time you were slurping vodkas back in the Ecclesall Road Polish Club , I was delivering papers there !

I remember they had an alsation in the yard adjoining Dover Road , so I never actually went in the yard , just shoved the paper through a gap in the woodwork.

I delivered the Star there from 1955 until 1958 and the paper shop was called , 'Manners ' just across the road near the junction with Hickmott Road.

• 10 months later...

Dinnington has/ had a fairly large Polish/ Ukranian community, there was the Ukraine Club there - don't know if it's still active though I'm afraid.

My aunt (Mum's sister) married a polish bloke, I believe he was a 'displaced person' after the war.

Archived