Polish Community in Sheffield

• 1 year later...

Please can anyone tell me how you would go about finding Polish tradespeople?

Is there a list somewhere? I have read that Polish tradesmen are very reliable and have been let down several times by various people.

World Series of Snooker 2008 – Jersey 21st 22nd June 2008-06-15

Fort Regent, Jersey Channel Islands

Tel: +44 1534 449827

Mistrz Polski w Snookerze Rafa³ Jewtuch

zagra przeciwko czo³owym zawodnikom œwiata w dniach 21 i 22 czerwca 2008 roku w Fort Regent.

PrzyjdŸ i pomó¿ w Rafa³owi w walce o miejsce

w Wielkim Finale WSS. Zawody bêd¹ filmowane. i transmitowane na ¿ywo na ca³y œwiat.

Bilety dostêpne s¹ w biurze

Fort Regent – +441534 449827

The WSS Tour will open in Jersey before moving to Germany, Russia and Poland. Our Grand Final is likely to be held back in Germany.

Our launch event will run from Friday 20th until Sunday 22nd June 2008, during which time four of the finest snooker players in the world, John Higgins MBE, Mark Selby, Shaun Williams and Ken Doherty will compete with the best of the Channel Islands and Poland for the Jersey title and a place in our Grand Final. The prize pot is in excess of 150,000 euros.

Day One - Session One

2 x first round matches – both best of seven frames

Match 1 - Selby (England) – Jewtuch (Poland)

Match 2 - Doherty (Ireland) – Britton (Jersey)

Day One - Session Two

2 x first round matches – both best of seven frames

Match 3 - Murphy (England) – Desperques (Guernsey)

Match 4 - Higgins (Scotland) – Canavan (Jersey)

Day Two - Session One – The Semi’s

2 x semi finals – both best of nine frames

Semi 1 – Winner Match 1 v Winner Match 2

Semi 2 – Winner Match 3 v Winner Match 4

Day Two – Session Two – The Final

Mixed Doubles match – dependent on time - minimum one frame

Tournament final – best of 11 frames

VIP PACKAGE – All session

· Front row television seat for every session

· Full membership for the Radisson Hotel VIP Club throughout the event

· Complimentary drinks and food throughout the event

· Complimentary Special Edition Programme personally signed by the tour players

· Special edition commemorative 2008 VIP pin

· A chance to meet and spend time with our tour players

Back in the early 70's I knew 3 polish lads who did the working mens clubs and functions, keyboard, guitar and drums. They were great lads but I lost touch with them. Annoyingly I can only remember the drummer was called 'Ziggy'. Anyone know of them?

Can`t reply in Russian because I am waiting for a converter for my dual keyboard.

The way I do it is to compose the text in Word (using the "insert symbol" facility) then copy and paste into the Forum window. But it's a bit laborious if you need to write a lot of Russian text - and my Russian is VERY basic anyway.

It is nice occasionally to meet a Russian in Sheffield - I occasionally get to a "Kruzhok" meeting. I made 10 visits to the former USSR in 1975-1990 and have written a few books on Russian philately (see my home page). In my experience the Polish community in Sheffield are a great bunch of people - hard-working, not afraid to let their hair down and full of firm opinions! (especially about Russians...) The Polish Club "Dom Kombatanta" in Ecclesall Road was a favourite watering-hole of mine.

I have a Ukrainian uncle, but beng from Lwów he also speaks Polish fluently and is still going strong in his 80s, living in Lincoln. I bought my Wadsley bungalow from the late Josef Sliwa, well-known in the area as "Polish Joe" - a great bloke.

Years ago I corresponded with a stamp collector in Poland. I did him a few favours and he gave me a book on the history of Poland - it was delivered personally one Sunday morning by a Polish emigrant living in Dinnington - as Don_Kiddick mentioned there is/was quite a community of Poles in Dinnington, and the "grape vine" system obviously worked well!

Great people, the Poles. And the hard-working, skilled Poles that are coming here thanks to membership of the EU are to be welcomed. And those who don't already have skills are willing to learn and adapt to life in a different country - unlike some of our own layabouts who expect the State to give them a living.

Archived