Polish Community in Sheffield

Hi PopT can't be sure the lad came over from Boston USA in the late 60s early 70s to see his family on Forster Road at Heeley,his name was Jan Poleckie but don't know if I have the surname spelt right.cheers Tosh13

• 4 months later...

Hello

My name is Anouchka and I am a Master's student in Sheffield. i am doing my dissertation on the Polish community in Sheffield after 1945. I would like to meet people who have families or are directly linked to the POlish community in Sheffield. Im focusing on housing policies, clubs and assocations, what the british gov and sheffield council did for the polish people, like jobs. Anecdotes and stories are more than welcome. i would like to make a questionaire that people would answer. it would be very important for my work if you could tell me more about it.

thank you very much

anouchka

Hello

My name is Anouchka and I am a Master's student in Sheffield. i am doing my dissertation on the Polish community in Sheffield after 1945. I would like to meet people who have families or are directly linked to the POlish community in Sheffield. Im focusing on housing policies, clubs and assocations, what the british gov and sheffield council did for the polish people, like jobs. Anecdotes and stories are more than welcome. i would like to make a questionaire that people would answer. it would be very important for my work if you could tell me more about it.

thank you very much

anouchka

i used to care for a polish bloke in the 90,s,a really interesting old fellow.

he was conscripted into the german army as a 2nd class german ,fought on the russian front,and was captured in ,if im correct,italy.

from there he was kept as a prisoner of war ,being brought to louth,lincolnshire,he was then given the chance to join up with the free polish forces,which he did,at the end of the war,he settled in sheffield,marrying a local girl,staying here until his death in 2001.

from the stories he told me,i believe he would have liked to have returned "home",but would have been seen as a traitor,you see,he was polish born,but spent his working life in germany.

we used to joke with him that he joined up with the side who was winning at the time,which often resulted in him shouting at us in either german or polish....but never told us what it meant,then we would all fall about laughin at what our interpretations were.

he worked at fox,s in stocksbridge,along with many other ex-p.o.ws who stayed after the war,up until his retirement,often doing 7 days a week.

i spent many happy hours in his company,christmas time there is something i will always remember,with his cherry brandy and stollen cake,i used to dread other carers coming round because it meant the stollen was shared out more.....well,i hope this little snippet helps you in some way.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I am doing a master's on the Polish community in Sheffield from 1945 up to now. U said in your message that your dad emigrated to sheffield. would it be possible to interview him or you if your dad is not available for any reason?

i need to interview polish people who moved to sheffield for my masters work.

thank you

Anouchka

My father was awarded some kind of medal from the Sheffield Polish community around the 1980's. It was (I think) for his work regarding the Poles via his post at the Sheffield star.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am not sure if this counts as 'Polish community' but I thought I'd ask. My Mum was a nurse in Sheffield in WW2 and I have found a photo with a dedication to her from 'Halina Sasko, underground Army Worsaw' dated 25.vi.45. There is a stamp on the back too looks like 'Stalag X3 25 Bopraft'. Can anyone throw any light on this story? Ta.

Hi Karen - Sasko is a Polish surname and Halina a (girl's) name. Stalag is a German word (short for "Stammlager") meaning a prisoner-of-war camp. I guess this was someone in Warsaw that your mum corresponded with.

Archived