I need your views - can you help my research?

JM10

Hi

I was hoping you may be able to help me. I want to make my website informative and educational and would like ideas from people about what they would like to see on a health and fitness website.

Things i will include are nutrition, exercises, new research etc. but it will help me more to get an idea from a more broader perspective about what people really want. The idea being that people will come back time and again to learn new things.

I would be very greatful if you could let me know things you would be interested in learning about or information you would find useful. Also, if there are any websites or magazines you view at the moment for your health and fitness information it would be great if you could let me know what they are.

Thank you very much for your time in reading this post and I thank you in advance for any information you may pass on.

Regards

pinnaclehealthandfitness.co.uk

What i could really use is a sort of an online personal trainer.

EG.

You could set it up for new, intermediate and advanced people and put a routine for each week of the year. Or even each day of the week.

Not only for people trying to lose weight either, you could do it for people who want to build muscle.

I'd be interested in info on re-hab after injury. Or specific excersises that can be used to build up one muscle group that can be done easily in a regular gym. It's been over three years for me since I ruptured my achilles, and I still don't have even muscle tone!

Jabberwocky/tas1 If you check out our web site http://www.getphysical.co.uk

and look under articles you will see there are tips about training etc. My partner & I have been personal trainers for over 20 yrs, we are always happy to give advice.

Thanks for that! I aded it to faves and ill take a look later.

Hi Jabberwocky, tas1 and max. Thank you very much for your great ideas.

I know Paul from Get Physical personally and he certainly knows his stuff and is very professional. I'm sure if you visited him at his establishment he would be more than happy to give you advice. One of my main reasons for finding out what people want to know is that trainers like myself (and Paul i'm sure) like to make sure that the truth in health and fitness is passed across to the public because there is a lot of incorrect information out there especially for marketing products and services. I’m sorry to say it but some personal trainers use the bad information and marketing to sell their services - they promise everything and deliver nothing. I am all about educating people and knowing what you actually want to know is half the battle!

I would love to have a chat to you about your individual needs and feel free to drop me an email or give me a ring anytime. Just to help you a little I have wrote a few ideas down for you to give you some ideas of where to start with reaching your goals. Hope you find it useful.

Jabberwocky - For a program to be successful it needs to be specific to the individual. Personal training is successful only if it is client centred meaning that it takes into account factors individual to you. I would be more than happy to have a discussion with you about any goals you may have. If you email me a telephone number I would be more than happy to give you advice. The info on Paul’s website will give you a great start in learning about the science in how to build muscle.

tas1 - sorry to hear you are still having problems with your Achilles. Firstly you would need to get it assessed from a Physio so that you don't end up creating a fresh injury if you start to exercise. After this has been cleared you will be able to progressively strengthen the area and surrounding calf muscles using exercises such as calf raises (but only after the physio has ok’d what you can do). This is where you raise up onto the ball of your foot causing the calf to contract then lower back to the floor in a controlled manner. Again this needs to be done progressively depending upon the previous damage. Due to the length of time after the original injury it would be likely that the fibres in the tendon have tightened and therefore a stretching program should be used and possibly massage to break down any scar tissue and realign the fibres to create strength through proper function. Using a wobble board where you create an unbalanced environment would help as well. If the rupture wasn’t from a direct blow you may need to have a full postural assessment as you need to find out why the injury occurred. It is common for specific injuries to occur through faulty movements elsewhere in the body.

Max - Fencing is an explosive sport and therefore should be trained for in this way. Also you should be working on you core stability as it is from these inner muscles where your true strength comes from. In short we have three main layers of muscles, deep layers that support our spine, inner layers that create support for the trunk and include the abdominal muscles, and the outer layer which are the muscles we can see in action. For strong movements to occur all three layers need to work together in what is called a kinetic chain and you know the old saying "your only as strong as your weakest link". Using equipment such as a stability ball and mimicking your fencing movements will increase your core stability and all round game. There is plenty more you could do for your training but I hope this gives you an idea of what you could be working on.

Cheers once again for your ideas

James

Pinnacle Health & Fitness

Archived