Alms Houses in Sheffield c 1930/40's

Hi,

Does anyone remember Alms Houses in Sheffield around 1930/40. I went to visit my father's aunt there when I was very young, but can't remember which district they were in. I know we caught a tram from Heeley and changed in city centre and they were on the left on a hill (surprise). Bungalow type buildings around a grass square. The family lived in Spring Street, Melinda Street in the 1880/90's so I am thinking that they would be on that side of city.

Margaret

I suppose the most common name associated with Almhouses in Sheffield would be Graves Trust Houses, these are dotted all over Sheffield but I can't think of any single storey ones.

Shrewsbury Hospital site, on Norfolk Road is approximately one mile outside Sheffield centre, on top of an hill, overlooking Sheffield. These are single storey, built around a green, with a chapel.

If you go to the link below, click on A for almhouses, you will see a selection, perhaps these may jog your memory.

http://www.picturesheffield.com

I am also sending you a P.M regarding Spring Street.

We have Alm houses (Graves trust) here in Longley but they are 2 storey. and not on a hill.

There are also some bungalow Alms in Ecclesfield and have just 1 peice of large ground in the middle once used as a bowling green.

It does'nt quite match what your looking for though does it.

Hi Pietro and Cycleracer.

The ones that Cycleracer describes in Ecclesfield sound similar to the ones I visited. Would Ecclesfield be near to where I visited? As you can see, I don't live in Sheffield, but my parents were born and brought up there, so I am not too familiar with the areas.

Have replied to private message to Pietro.

Many thanks,

Margaret

• 2 weeks later...

Trekker

You are right, the ones you're thinking of are the "Duke of Norfolk's" Shrewsbury Hospital site, on Norfolk Road near to the Cholera Monument.

See the link below.

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/Norfolk_004.jpg

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/Norfolk_010.jpg

Unfortunately though, these are'nt the ones remembered by Margaret.

Hi Trekker,

Thanks for that but, as Pietro says, I don't think they are the ones. But the links that Peitro gave to me were very good and gave an indication of which ones they might have been.

Margaret

• 2 years later...
Hi,

Does anyone remember Alms Houses in Sheffield around 1930/40. I went to visit my father's aunt there when I was very young, but can't remember which district they were in. I know we caught a tram from Heeley and changed in city centre and they were on the left on a hill (surprise). Bungalow type buildings around a grass square. The family lived in Spring Street, Melinda Street in the 1880/90's so I am thinking that they would be on that side of city.

Margaret

I know this thread is from 3 yrs ago...................

The Almshouses are the ones opposite where Claywood flats used to be and opposite the Cholera grounds.They are the one storey houses/bungalows and the elderly used to live there.

I well remember the Alms Houses on Norfolk Rd !930 NorfolkRd starts at the top of Shrewsbury Rd and the junction with Talbot St It is a flat Rd after a short climb I walked past the Alms Houses on my way to and from school every day Long time ago Exactly opposite the Colera grounds I lived on Norfolk Rd Til 1942.