Anybody ever see King Crimson at City Hall?

martin1print

Did anybody see King Crimson play Sheffield City Hall?. I think they appeared in 1971 and maybe again a couple of years later. I have some live CD's of this period and wonder if this phenomenal band sold out, or topped the bill and how they performed. What a pity I didn't discover them until the late 70's as they are the only band I can listen to time and time again and not grow tired. Is anybody else gripped by King Crimson (circa 1970 to 1975) fever?

Came across this band in the late 70's and so never saw them live. I've got a couple of albums and still listen to them occasionally, don't be cross but they do in some ways remind me of early genesis.

Talking about progressive rock is anyone else going to see Dragonforce at the Octagon in December?

Hi martin1print, Yes I saw King Crimson play the City Hall in the early 70`s. I was very impressed with their playing abilities and remember Robert Fripp sat on a stool playing guitar. They did "In the Wake of Poseidon" at the end of the concert, with darkened lighting and the sound of the mellotron slowly fading away and when the house lights were turned up, the stage was empty. It was incredibly atmospheric and a delight to see and hear. Pete Sinfield, although a member of the band, was in the lighting booth doing all the special effects, which certainly made the concert very memorable. The City Hall certainly put on some super concerts in the 60`s and 70`s.

I'm jealous. I wish I could have been there. I guess the line up must have been Boz Burrell, bass & vocals, Ian Wallace, drums, Robert Fripp, guitar and the most incredible saxophonist Mel Collins. I play the early live CD's and try to picture them onstage. I agree with the other contributor their early stuff sounded a little like early Genesis, but later albums eg: Larks' Tongues, are a massive departure from anything Genesis did. My top 7 albums would be 1) Islands, 2) Red, 3) Larks' Tongues, 4) Starless & Bible Black, 5) USA, 6) Lizard, 7) Earthbound.

Yes - I think it was just following the release of "Islands" - I remember they played "Ladies of the Road" which was on that album. Most memorable bit (apart from Fripp motionless on his stool playing his black Les Paul) was when they were playing "Devils Triangle" and the light show changed to the flame leaping up the back wall of the City Hall.

Don't think early Genesis were a patch on KC of the same period - nothing like the power of 21st Century Schizoid Man or Fripp's guitar playing - and the drummer would have blown Phil Collins away.

That concert must have been something special. I would pay handsomely to watch old KC concert videos. One interesting thing I read about the studio track 'Ladies of the Road' is that on the opening few bars Fripp deliberately played his guitar out of tune - and it still sounds good. I don't know of any other guitarist who can claim to have done that. Agreed, that KC blind Genesis for technical ability and professionalism. On their studio albums I think they are masters at background sounds that complement the melody perfectly. I never get tired of listening.

Archived