Old Norton Aerodrome

milted

Do any of you old "crinckles" remember Sir Alan Cobham comming to Norton Aerodrome way back in 1935 with his Flying circus with e few of his " Flying Fleas" as they were called ? Home made tiny planes with a motor bike engine in them I remember seeing half a dozen of them flying over the city I think they were later banned as they were too dangerous Anyone remember them?

• 11 months later...
Do any of you old "crinckles" remember Sir Alan Cobham comming to Norton Aerodrome way back in 1935 with his Flying circus with e few of his " Flying Fleas" as they were called ? Home made tiny planes with a motor bike engine in them I remember seeing half a dozen of them flying over the city I think they were later banned as they were too dangerous Anyone remember them?
Hi Ted Iv'e just seen this thread, yes Isaw this show , thought it was wonderful, even today it would go down well, what do you think? Arthur.

Arthur Fearn You puzzle me ole pal What with Spacies yard on Rhodes St Park, Connections with Ecclesfield,former City Hall employee, and nowyou say you remember the"Flying Flees" at Norton Aerodrome. You and I must do some more talking By the way,did you ever come across a Rodney at the Council?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Alan Cobham's visit to Norton. Must have been about 1936ish when I was just a nipper. It was advertised that there would be a Birdman taking part, some brave idiot who jumped from an aircraft and whizzed about like a bat with a membrane between his arms and legs. Final descent would have been by parachute but it never happened. "Too windy", they said. We booked a flight in the "airliner", an Airspeed Ferry with two wings and room for about six inside. That never happened, either, "Conked out" they said, but we'd paid our five shillings and took the alternative on offer. Not sure what it was, maybe an Avro 504, another biplane with open cockpits. Most of this is hearsay from family tales and I don't really remember much. The airfield was between Dyche Lane and the dual carriageway to Chesterfield, I understand it was used in the 1st World War when aircraft were based there for defence against Zeppelins. I also believe a hangar remained there until Batemoor estate was built.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry to but in, but, I know there's s former aerodrome at Norton, but, i read somewhere that there used to be two airfields in Sheffield during either WW1 or WW11. Been searching on the internet for the past two years, and still not come up with the second one. :( So, got to the desparate stage now trying to find the place lol.

Cheers,

:) Sal

...I read somewhere that there used to be two airfields in Sheffield during either WW1 or WW11. Been searching on the internet for the past two years, and still not come up with the second one. :( So, got to the desperate stage now trying to find the place lol.

Try this thread, from 2003, it covers both airfields and gives addresses where more info can be gleaned...

Archived