Childrens trips with sheffield clubs

bushbaby 3

when iwas younger i can remember going away for the day with the darnel libs we used to go on the train to cleethorpes .we weregiven an apple orange and bag of crisps and i think we were given half a crown .we had tickets with our nanes on tied to our coats in case we got lost.at dinner time we would queue up thesideof the train station for our free fish and chip dinner at the cafe at the top of the station approach.we were all sat on long tables our feet squelching in squashed fish we didnt care we thought it was great.we didnt have much to spend but we spent the day playing on the beach or going round wonderland.then it was back on the train again for the journey home for some of the kids it was the only time they got away all year

I think it was about 1964 wewent to Skegness on the Sheffield United Tour busses. It was with the Park and Arbourthorne club.We got some money not sure how much an apple orange and a drink great day out does eneyone still do it.

my uncle used to be the manager at bassetts he used to organise a xmas eve day at the fiesta , we would get chicken and chips in a basket, then father christmas would come and give us a present, we used to watch a pantomine as well, i absolutlely loved it could,nt wait for that day.

when iwas younger i can remember going away for the day with the darnel libs we used to go on the train to cleethorpes .we weregiven an apple orange and bag of crisps and i think we were given half a crown .we had tickets with our nanes on tied to our coats in case we got lost.at dinner time we would queue up thesideof the train station for our free fish and chip dinner at the cafe at the top of the station approach.we were all sat on long tables our feet squelching in squashed fish we didnt care we thought it was great.we didnt have much to spend but we spent the day playing on the beach or going round wonderland.then it was back on the train again for the journey home for some of the kids it was the only time they got away all year

Thats exactly as it was bushbaby, you got it perfect I remember all that as though it was yesterday when we arrived home dead tired and sometimes even sick lol

Vera

We all used to go with the Sheffield Lane Top WMC. Fab times. We got some crisps and pop and a little envelope with some spending money in.

Times were hard back then (steel strike) it was the only trip to the seaside we had. Our tenants association ran a trip for local families every year up until this year but coach costs are so high, last time it was over £600 for two coaches

• 1 month later...

Apart from free day trips with Sunday School every year we used to go with the Sheffield Transport Club[my dad was a tram conductor,I'm sure he would have taken some of your 1/2ds and given you your ticket at some time]

We would always get very excited at our first sight and smell of the sea

Unfortunately I used to feel travel sick before the bus had even left Sheffield but it was worth the suffering

Archived