Childrens trips with sheffield clubs

bushbaby 3

Oh happy days

We went with Wadsley Bridge Club to Cleethorpes mainly, although I seem to remember we went to Skeg too and nobody liked it lol

Always sent the kids coaches off first, so there were always loads of kids roaming Cleethorpes before the adults arrived.

I seem to remember getting 50p spending money and the last time I think I got a fiver.

In the 40s I also went with Wadsley Bridge WMC.The excitement was tremendous.We hardly slept a wink the night before, for fear of missing the coach next day.

We went once a year.The only time we would see the sea.We always sang;

"Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside.

I do like to be beside the sea.

I do like to stroll along the Prom,Prom,Prom.

Where the Banjo"s play-Tiddly om pom pom" etc.

It was after the war years so there was not much cash around,and,although we were a big family,Dad always managed to pay his "Subs" At the club. Otherwise we could not go.

Thanks Dad and Mam!

• 3 months later...
used to go with the Park and Arbourthorne, Manor and Arundel, all on city road. tickets used to be 2shillings and you got back 10bob ,pop and crisp and a dinner when you got there.as i remember in the 60s all the lads wanted to spend their money on was a dagger to play games with ,not like the nutters now carrying blades.:)

I can remember being a steward on one of these coaches , The Arundel I think, I've never had such a rotten day in my life.

Tatty Dumps.

Archived