Is torture ever justified?

Is torture justified?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture justified?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

I'm astonished to find myself in partial agreement with you for once; but capital punishment, as you say, is a form of revege which is a base instinct indeed. The only difference between the sort of torture this thread is about and hanging is a matter of varying degrees of mental anguish, physical stress and duration and intensity of pain. It's a nasty business. Did you know that hanged people often soil themselves in death?

Torture and hanging are not the actions of a civilised and decent society.

We have more common ground than you believe, it is just that you fly off the handle too much, without realising what I am saying. :thumbsup:

downtroad

It seems amazing, does it not, that just a few months after the death of Al Zaquari that people are speaking in favour of torture.

We spent millions on bringing that horrible man to his just desserts, and now people are talking about using a simalar kind of activity.

The kind of torture and murder carried out in that fashion is the ultimate in cowardice.

As we agree, it is not the action of a civilised man.

:confused:

Words of wisdom artisan.

We were supposed to be sending our brave men and women to fight the war in Iraq, to save them from this kind of behaviour. And the result is our societies except the same behaviour we were liberating the people of Iraq from.

We have changed so much in such a short time. We would not even be talking about this just a few years ago. But now, its mainstream?!

Why has this war changed us?

Where does this end?

How far will we let this go?

Not someone else who thinks DNA 100% proves someone is guilty of a crime! :rolleyes:

DNA might prove sex took place but doesn't prove rape.

DNA might prove someone touched a kid but doesn't prove abuse.

DNA might link someone to the scene of a terrorist attack but doesn't prove they committed a terrorist act.

Think about it.

It does if they claim they weren't there / never met the person.

:confused:

Words of wisdom artisan.

We were supposed to be sending our brave men and women to fight the war in Iraq, to save them from this kind of behaviour. And the result is our societies except the same behaviour we were liberating the people of Iraq from.

We have changed so much in such a short time. We would not even be talking about this just a few years ago. But now, its mainstream?!

Why has this war changed us?

Where does this end?

How far will we let this go?

Personally, I think the Americans as a nation have gone mad, led by their barking-mad right-wing religious zealots, who are as barmy in their own way as al-Quaeda.

"The end of the world is nigh" they claim - and THEY'RE the ones who're destined to bring it about? :loopy: Completely raving - and beyond words Arrogant. Who do they think they are? :loopy:

StarSparkle

Personally, I think the Americans as a nation have gone mad, led by their barking-mad right-wing religious zealots, who are as barmy in their own way as al-Quaeda.

"The end of the world is nigh" they claim - and THEY'RE the ones who're destined to bring it about? :loopy: Completely raving - and beyond words Arrogant. Who do they think they are? :loopy:

StarSparkle

And how many Americans do you think are like this? I've been over there plenty, worked with a lot of people, and they aren't like that.

Try not to be too easily led by the gutter press.

Enough to form a majority of the voting electorate, because they got their man into power.

They didn't vote for 'the end of the world is nigh', they voted very sensibly for a more right-wing approach to running their country - something we should take a lesson from.

Archived