Is torture ever justified?

Is torture justified?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture justified?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

. . . . However, if he'd admitted to knowing the whereabouts of the missing girl and was witholding that information then my view becomes mediaeval..I'd happily stick a grenade up his arse and fasten the pin to a length of twine which I would give the child's mother possession of..no pain, no gain as they say.
Well said that man.

If, for example, time were running out to find a kidnapped child alive, and the kidnapper were in custody but wouldn't talk, then yes, torture would be justified, if it could bring about the child's rescue. Let's be clear though, the authorities would have to be absolutely 100% certain that they had the right person. Just having a suspect, even with a very, very long list of former convictions, would not be justification. It would have to be the only way.

Only a complete fool would allow a kidnap victim to die, or a city be rendered uninhabitable by a dirty bomb, for the sake of a principle. Torture can be justified, revolting though it is.

They do it through waterboarding, americans do it

It's not a pleasant experience

Terror suspects get it

There is no long term harm though i think a suspect died through it, an heart attack or something

Only a complete fool would allow a kidnap victim to die, or a city be rendered uninhabitable by a dirty bomb, for the sake of a principle. Torture can be justified, revolting though it is.
You forget that the do-gooder, hand-wringing, 'we can't do that or we're as bad as . . . blah' types are fools, so they just won't see it.

You forget that the do-gooder, hand-wringing, 'we can't do that or we're as bad as . . . blah' types are fools, so they just won't see it.

Thank you. I'm always happy to be called a fool in public. :roll:

I could of course say exactly the same about those who consider that getting a few insults in and abuse with their argument, and an appeal to pity as being a worthy argument as also being fools, but I wouldn't do that. I'll therefore thank you not to do the same.

They do it through waterboarding, americans do it

It's not a pleasant experience

Terror suspects get it

There is no long term harm though i think a suspect died through it, an heart attack or something

Yeah - because killing someone that you can't even convict of a crime isn't "long term harm" at all is it...

Yeah - because killing someone that you can't even convict of a crime isn't "long term harm" at all is it...

It was only one, and he was just collateral damage. We can afford that as long as it's not "we". Plus we get to experiment with torture methods.

The above isn't intended to precipitate an erection for those in favor.

Archived