Is torture ever justified?

Is torture justified?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture justified?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

It's a meaningless question, because there are so many unfulfilled parameters.

There's no 'one size fits all' answer.

Consider two different cases:

A man has been captured by a (less than friendly) group of people who tend not to comply with either the Geneva Convention or the Rules and Articles of war.

Before we decide, what, exactly, constitutes 'torture'?

In the early 1970's, I was kept in the dark, kept awake, placed in 'unusual positions' and beaten. That wasn't 'torture' (back then) it was 'training in resisting harsh interrogation methods'.

Nowadays, it's probably torture ... but then again, being forced to watch Jeremy Kyle on TV would probably have been deemed top be torture then.

If it's your child who is being buggered and maimed than I'd be glad to admit that anything physical which was being done to the ******* who had him was torture.

If it's anybody else's child, I'll ask questions later.

Does that satisfy you?

Let's hope your never taken hostage then

Ahhh, bless ya. I never knew you cared :hihi:

Seriously though, if we are at war why wouldnt torture be a good thing?

Given the choice of keeping my freedom or my morals my morals would be a distant second when you consider what could happend should we become a conquered nation

Ahhh, bless ya. I never knew you cared :hihi:

Seriously though, if we are at war why wouldnt torture be a good thing?

Given the choice of keeping my freedom or my morals my morals would be a distant second when you consider what could happend should we become a conquered nation

Well war is torture in away, I have never been shot but it can't be painless surely

If torture is ever justified then only water boarding is acceptable, but their probably always working on new ideas

Archived