Is torture ever justified?

Is torture justified?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture justified?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

Religion never HAD a moral high ground. Need I remind you of the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the burning of Giordano Bruno and the torture of Galileo, the numerous Catholics burned at the stake in 17th-century England, and the rise of the Ku Klux Klan in 19th-century America?

And that's just Christianity, the religion, above all others, which brings a message of peace.

For sure, i understand all that.

But in modern times, when i was growing up religion wasn't about torture and war.

For sure, i understand all that.

But in modern times, when i was growing up religion wasn't about torture and war.

Oh, modern times. I refer you to Northern Ireland, Bosnia, the violence at Amritsar, and the ongoing attempts by Al-Qaeda to turn the world into an Islamic paradise.

Oh, modern times. I refer you to Northern Ireland, Bosnia, the violence at Amritsar, and the ongoing attempts by Al-Qaeda to turn the world into an Islamic paradise.

No i get your point, but you know the general populous of England and America. The people going to normal (not your snake charming, Wako kind of places) were pretty normal. And they were generally moral people, now athiest have the high ground.

Modern interrogation techniques are pretty effective, but can anybody out there honestly object to a murdering terrorist being on the receiving end of a pair of pliers if it will save lives? I'd do it myself.

Sod torture. If it was a terrorist id do it for fun.

I see it as a christians duty to help the terrorist on his way to allahs garden.

Ok so he wouldnt get there immediately, in fact id make sure it took months but he would get there eventually.

In chunks.

Sort-of related, Norman Swartzkopf said it was not up to him, but to God, to make judgement on the Iraqis who had invaded Kuwait and ravaged that part of the world. He simply saw his job as bringing forward their meeting with God.

Archived