Is torture ever justified?

Is torture justified?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture justified?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

No, no and no. Never acceptable. Immoral, inhumane, unreliable.

I find it vaguely amusing and distasteful the way that threads of this nature always bring out a rash of people trying to outdo one another in the 'I'd pull their teeth out myself' stakes.

Of course you would. Not. A kind of p' ing contest for sadists. Sad.

I find it vaguely amusing and distasteful the way that threads of this nature always bring out a rash of people trying to outdo one another in the 'I'd pull their teeth out myself' stakes.

More amusing is what crimes these pioneers of justice would use torture for, "dropped some litter ? cut their arms off", "smoking in public ? remove their lungs with a teaspoon", "caught doing graffiti ? Nail them to the wall and spray them with acid" etc. etc.

Even normally sane posters see the red mist.

I agree it's amusing, and a bit disturbing, but it must be a release for them, so it's probably for the best.

What about adding a month or two of torture to a death sentence for paedophiles and drug dealers, would the sentence then become a deterrent?

Good idea, and for those who say no wait till some loony blows up your children with a nail bomb and think again. If we are to save innocent lives, any and I mean any method should be used on these vermin. Furthermore do you remember what the Russians did to those dead terrorists who attacked that school? I suggest we start wrapping the terrorist’s bodies in pigskin before we chuck them in some hole in the ground. No Fear No Deterrent

Much missing the point...

No matter what you think about the moral issues about the death penalty and torture, you need to ask yourself - what if they get the wrong person??

If you are able to say, hand on heart "for the greater good it is OK to execute or torture the odd wrong person" try thinking then -

- would it be OK to torture or execute your son or daughter by mistake ?

If you still say "OK" I think you need to examine your own morals a little deeper. :|

Of all people Barfest should know better. He supposedly work in for the RAF. They are taught about the Geneva Convention in training, its there to protect them and all our troops. It seems the training isn't sinking in with some people.

He finds it funny, but would he if one of his "mates" were held in a dark damp cell for 2 years and electrocuted, sodamised and beaten for the duration. Finally being released a broken person, with flash backs and a life time of depression.

Its funny when you detach yourself from the reality, when it’s somebody else. But not so funny when it’s somebody you know.

One more thing, moral relativism, practiced in this thread, the we are better than them our cause greater, so when we torture it's ok... is exactly how Hitler sold WWII to the German populous. It's a dangerous, dangerous concept usually used by evil extremists like Bin Laden to justify evil actions.

Good idea, and for those who say no wait till some loony blows up your children with a nail bomb and think again. If we are to save innocent lives, any and I mean any method should be used on these vermin. Furthermore do you remember what the Russians did to those dead terrorists who attacked that school? I suggest we start wrapping the terrorist’s bodies in pigskin before we chuck them in some hole in the ground. No Fear No Deterrent

See post no.34. No fear, no deterrent? Do you honestly believe that fear of torture will act as a deterrent against people willing to end their own lives on suicide missions?

Archived