Is torture ever justified?

Is torture justified?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture justified?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

It is pretty much a case of what is achieved by it. If torture can gain information which will either directly or indirectly prevent a future terrorist attact then I would say it is justified as the suffering involved is less than the suffering prevented and also the person suffering is more deserving to suffer than these who would have done if the terrorist attack had gone ahead.

Of all people Barfest should know better. He supposedly work in for the RAF. They are taught about the Geneva Convention in training, its there to protect them and all our troops. It seems the training isn't sinking in with some people.

He finds it funny, but would he if one of his "mates" were held in a dark damp cell for 2 years and electrocuted, sodamised and beaten for the duration. Finally being released a broken person, with flash backs and a life time of depression.

Its funny when you detach yourself from the reality, when it’s somebody else. But not so funny when it’s somebody you know.

what about the victims of sick evil peadophiles? they suffer much of what you have posted too, aswell as the flashbacks and lifetime of depression. Anyone who can put children through the things that they do deserves to be in that damp dark cell getting electrocuted,sodomised and beaten for the duration of their entire lives.

so sometimes yes i think torture is very much acceptable

what about the victims of sick evil peadophiles? they suffer much of what you have posted too, aswell as the flashbacks and lifetime of depression. Anyone who can put children through the things that they do deserves to be in that damp dark cell getting electrocuted,sodomised and beaten for the duration of their entire lives.

And do you not think it immoral to elctrocute, sodomise and beat people?

Would you do this and if so do you not think this would compromise your own humanity?

It is pretty much a case of what is achieved by it. If torture can gain information which will either directly or indirectly prevent a future terrorist attact then I would say it is justified as the suffering involved is less than the suffering prevented and also the person suffering is more deserving to suffer than these who would have done if the terrorist attack had gone ahead.

But people will tell you anything if it means you stop hurting them, torture doesn't make the information any more reliable, unless you use the "hold on while we check that out, if it's wrong we'll be back in 3 weeks" method of interregation.

Moral relativism. The fact is it make you just as bad as they are, if you inflict revenge by such evil methods.

I agree pedophiles are terrible people, but when we torture them it makes us just as bad as they are.

Welcome to Germany circa. 1940. Gays are evil, because they are bad gassing them and putting them in concentration camps is ok. That kind of thinking allowed Hitler to get as much traction as he did.

And do you not think it immoral to elctrocute, sodomise and beat people?

Would you do this and if so do you not think this would compromise your own humanity?

i do not consider a peadophile to be part of humanity. they lost all rights to it the first time they harmed a child, an innocent child that does not know why it is being harmed. where as the peadophile WOULD know why it was being harmed.. because it had done something so vile and so sick that it LOST the rights to be called human.

But people will tell you anything if it means you stop hurting them, torture doesn't make the information any more reliable, unless you use the "hold on while we check that out, if it's wrong we'll be back in 3 weeks" method of interregation.

I did say if it would save lives and prevent terrorism. For example if the recently prevented terror attacks were discovered becuase some harsh innerogation methods were used by the Americans they they did us a big favour and we should be greatful to them. I just have a problem with people villifying interogators who obtain information which saves our lives. It shows a remarkable lack of ingratitude to people who are doing a pretty dirty and unpleasant job on our behalf.

As for torture as punishment for sex offender etc - no never. it cannot be justified in these circumstances.

It shows a remarkable lack of ingratitude to people who are doing a pretty dirty and unpleasant job on our behalf.

I don't want people tortured on my behalf thanks. Surely the same information could be found out, more accurately, by other methods. And where do you draw the line, is it ok to torture women, kids, old people, they might know something too ?

What if they suspected you of knowing something, after 3 weeks of torture they decide you don't know anything after all, do you just walk out with a "thanks guys, happy to do my bit to help, no hard feelings, I know it's in the countries best intrest" ?

i do not consider a peadophile to be part of humanity. they lost all rights to it the first time they harmed a child, an innocent child that does not know why it is being harmed. where as the peadophile WOULD know why it was being harmed.. because it had done something so vile and so sick that it LOST the rights to be called human.

errrrr I will say it again - what happend if you get the wrong person?

I'll repeat the question; would you be prepared to beat, sodomise and electrocute another human being and do you not t6hink that this would compromise your own humanity?

Paedophilia is a loathsome thing, but the people who do it are human beings. To refuse to acknowledge this is a dangerous thing - it makes people look for monsters, when the truth is that the average paedophile is known to his victim - he's their Dad, brother, Uncle or family friend.

Archived