Is torture ever justified?

Is torture justified?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture justified?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

I'm sorry to hear about that Litha; but can you not see that if we inflict appalling terror and pain on someone who cannot fight back or escape that it is us who become the spineless maggots?

The person who did the bad things to you and yours may well have had in their own mind (however sick and wrong) a belief that they were entitled to behave that way - if we torture in revenge, we may have our own justification, but it's the act of torture, of inflicting suffering that's wrong, whatever the justification we try to put upon it.

nicely put halibut. :)

. NO! and you know that is not what i ment at all. I ment if it was my children that had been harmed by a peopdophile, i would hope i have the guts to be able to harm the peodophile. but in reality i very much doubt i could.

if you bother to rip my posts apart and try and mis-quote me anymore im not even going to give you the decency of a reply

litha, look at your post again. it sounds as if you are saying that you could torture your children if you had to! :)

Not only is torture abhorrent and totally incompatible with a modern-day democracy, but it's also pointless. If you were to torture me then I'd gladly tell you I was the lovechild of Napoleon and Ann Widdecombe if it'd get you to stop. It wouldn't make it true though.

Not only that, what about the people who were to carry out this torture? Imagine the pure sadism that you'd need to inflict massive pain on someone whilst they begged and pleaded for you to stop. Could that torturer then lead a normal life when he got home in the evenings, read bedtime stories to his kids, pick up a few things from Tesco and pop into his local for a quiet drink? Hmmm.......

. NO! and you know that is not what i ment at all. I ment if it was my children that had been harmed by a peopdophile, i would hope i have the guts to be able to harm the peodophile. but in reality i very much doubt i could.

if you bother to rip my posts apart and try and mis-quote me anymore im not even going to give you the decency of a reply

My appologies Litha, it kinda looked like you were saying that :)

i am tired, ive been up all night with my dog because she is pooly, and i certainly dont think i have to justify myself either on my grammer or my opinions.

Halibut~ i really do understand what you are saying and in a perfect world i would agree with you, but then again in a perfect world my opinion wouldnt have been jaded alot of years ago about this subject.

my less barbaric solution to this is just take them all and drop them in the sea, they are neither use nor orniment to society, its been proved many many times that they cant be reabilitated and go on to re-offend over and over. so why in the name of humanity are these scum allowed to live and go on to reck many innocent lives.

You the same guy Zamo thats bitching about not getting a cheap ticket at the lane because their only for women ( Breast cancer awareness day )

Sure am! Equality is my middle name. ;)

The reason why I asked if you supported regime change in Iraq is that so many of those that did also seem to advocate the UK adopting a system whereby the government and authorities would be able to do what they wanted to its people without impunity (a regime just like Saddam had). Am I right in thinking you are one of these mixed up people?

What the **** are you rambling about !!

Saddam kidnapped, tortured and murder his people without impunity. Most people think that was a bad thing to do.

You want our government/authorities to have similar powers. I think that would be a bad thing to do.

Archived