Why did you leave - what's your story ?

heeleygirl

In 1973, at the age of 31, I left Sheffield with my wife for Lincolnshire, so I've been there longer than in Yorkshire. Fresh air, quiet roads - would we ever want to leave where we live now? Not likely. We do miss Sheffield as it was in the 60s, before they mucked it about.

I moved to London in 1980 to be with a girlfriend who had moved there. Stayed for 18 years, married, 3 kids and came back to Sheffield in 1999. Met a new partner up here who can't wait to get back to London but I prefer Sheffield.

I left as the 21st century was moving ever closer to the Sheff/Barnsley village where I lived. It was quiet and agricultural, no crime, but only a matter of time.. traffic noise increasing almost daily.. still a Sheffield Lass, but living in my beloved rural Northumberland. Coast AND countryside!

Guest teebee

left sheffield in 2001 to live in nottingham, now live in amber valley, but if i could move back to sheffield i would be there live a shot. just want a decent fishcake.

• 2 weeks later...

I first left in 1947 for 2 years national service, national slavery would have been a better description. Returned after demob for a couple of years but the place was a stinking smoke choking cesspit so I one day thought maybe the Army as a career might not be too bad after all. I stayed in "till 1973 and had a wonderful life visiting over 20 countries. After retirement I built a boat and sailed down to Spain and the Med. sold the boat in Tunisia and came over to Florida about 13 years ago. The only bit I miss is Derbyshire, you can keep the rest.

In the early 60s i had 3 jobs going at once,one was a good job as tool &die,but istill could'nt keep my my family fed ,the end came when coming home for dinner the wife &3 had a few chips an egg, my plate had a single pork chop,back then the wife's would often go out &buy a single piece of meat for old mans supper,the way i was working i'd have been dead at 40.So lets get to hell out of here,came to Canada and never looked back,been here 40 odd yrs & its been a great life.

Got out of the army in Feb 1969. Went back plumbing with the SCPWD. Walking round the Wybourn repairing burst pipes. By the time I had paid income tax,nhs contributions and graduated pension scheme payment. A road sweeper on the dole with 4 kids was better off than me. He got his dole money,stamps to get coal free,stamps to get shoes for his kids free and stamps for free food. These blokes were laughing at me for working.

I was in Australia by August 1969 and never regreted one minute.

Left Sheffield in Sept. 2004 for the sunnier climes of Kent and whilst you have endured the flooding, we have basked in sunshine. I loved and was proud of my home town but I would never return to live there.

I left sheffield to join the R N in 1945, couldnt stand travelling from wisewood to DARNALL (DAVY UNITED ), left R N in1948 worked in LONDON on the trolley busses for 3 years ,got fed up with that and rejoined the R N and completed time for pension service, now living in TONBRIDGE and quite happy, sometimes I wish that I had emigrated , but that is life

Archived