Can anyone rate that greek restaraunt on london road?

Dave650

• 4 months later...

A while since anyone posted on this thread...

Has anywhere been there since? As it's open on a Sunday and I've driven past it a few times and I love Greek food will I like it? Not worried about cheesiness of musak .(I'd quite like a bit for a change!) but do need to know if the food is top notch!

I like Wig and pen, Seasons, 543, The Bohemian, Boho and 23 but I fancy trying somewhere different and new plus all of the above except 23 are shut Sunday evenings. :(

We went last night and were very impressed.

The decor is essentially unchanged from when it was Martini's. The atmosphere was pretty much spot on, nice balance between intimate and lively. The service was very good.

Mrs Chumley had meze dips, chicken souvlaki and greek yoguhrt with honey. I had the same starter then makaronia me kime (Greek spag bol) with kataifi for dessert. For drinks we had a bottle of red Macedonicos, water and a coffee each. The bill came to £48.

No idea who owns it, but the staff are definitely Greek, including the chef.

We will certainly be going again :)

sounds good, and it's walking/staggering distance from home

• 2 years later...

Went here tonight, read some of the (old) reviews from here and thought we'd give it a go, and really, really liked it. The food is very reasonably priced, the restaurant was really pleasant to be in; nice lighting, lovely service, very clean, lovely music, waited just the right amount of time between courses, the chap serving us was really nice, helpful and friendly and not overly so. The food tasted so so so nice - we eat out a lot and this is my favourite yet. The whole experience was truly satisfying and a refreshing change.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Well done Parthenonas. We will be returning again and again.

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't realise it was replacing martinis! Makes sense now I think of it. I'm pretty sure its under different management now as the old owner of Martini's was italian and I doubt he'd suddenly switch to greek cuisine lol. And anyway I'm pretty sure I vaguely remember his daughter mentioning to me that he moved back to italy. Yeah hopefully we'll have chance to try this place out sometime too.

Answering a very old post in a recently revived thread...

Yes, it has been under new ownership for the two years since it became Parthenonas.

I was a regular at Martinis, both when Giuseppe and Glenda owned it, and later when Rod owned it.

It was my favourite restaurant, Bahri, the chef was brilliant. I was very sad when it closed down, as the food was excellent. (somewhere that actually KNEW how to make proper, thin crust pizza!)

Bloody hell this thread was opened for my 17th birthday :hihi: Never did find out what it was like though. Still, if it's still open now it can't be that bad. And now Flossy has mentioned Saganaki cheese my stomach has suddenly started growling somewhat!

Archived