Anyone got a review of the online census?

Tets

I've had 'freebies' from Ancestry.com. Trouble is you get so far and then the $$$ signs pop-up. Waste of time pal.

Yeah had much the same with GenesRe-uniteds etc. You get a letter and can't answer without coughing up. This Ancestry looked different though Oh!! Well. Keep trying.

i managed to go as far back to the late 1800's and my great-great grand father. Just typed my surname in to the search bar on Explorer and went

from thare,it took me about a week of searching through all the links.

But saying that my surname is far from common and im sure that helped .

I have subscribed to Ancestry on a month by month basis which started with the free trial bit but you have to give them your card details first. It's 9.99 a month and for anyone researching their rellies I would highly recommend it.

After the second month I kept on the subscription so thats when they charged me but I got the first month for free.

I have subscribed to Ancestry on a month by month basis which started with the free trial bit but you have to give them your card details first. It's 9.99 a month and for anyone researching their rellies I would highly recommend it.

After the second month I kept on the subscription so thats when they charged me but I got the first month for free.

Thanks a lot. Helpful comments. As you say,doing it that way costs £9.99 month, but paying for full year is £69.99 year OR £5.83 month. Much cheaper, but is it worth it ? By your experience it sounds OK. Thanks.

You may not be already aware, but to start with you can obtain the 1881 census details free of charge on http://www.familysearch.org/

The 1841-1891 information available on ancestry.co.uk is available free of charge at the Family Record centre in Finsbury, London, which isn't that far from St. Pancs. They are open to 7pm on Tuesday and thursday evenings.

It may work out cheaper to spend a day there, if you can get cheap travel rather than pay ancestry.co.uk

but is it worth it ? By your experience it sounds OK. Thanks.

To further answer your point, for me I found the information on ancestry.co.uk very useful and reasaonably easy to navigate and find.

This was partly because the surnames I was looking for were not that common, or I was already aware family were living elsewhere from where one of them had been born, and as a result there were usually very few potential "candidates". (But if say you are looking for a Morgan, born in Wales you could be struggling.)

I started off with the 1881 census (without paying on the familysearch.org site) to note what I could as a base, and then started working back.

I'm glad I did and was lucky, because some of the data I was looking for on the 1851 and 1891 census documents was not available on ancestry.co.uk, because some original documents were damaged, but all the Sheffield returns seemed complete. However, sometimes the hand written documents can be very difficult to read.

You may be lucky and also find some birth of marriage entries on familysearch.com, but these are nowhere near complete, and pre. 1837 are based on parish records.

But, at some stage you will almost certainly need marriage or birth certificates, to obtain or confirm the maiden names of spouses, which you will probably need to search for in the indexes and order at the family record centre.

You can use the ancestry.co.uk site freen of charge, whilst on their premises or at the public record office, but you will need to pay 20p for each screen priint.

I traced all my lines at least back to circa. 1825 using these sources, but found very little from parish records before that

Good luck.

Archived