Anyone got a review of the online census?

Tets

I have been doing family history since jan this year with a class. I have used ancestry for free. Also genes reunited, where you can put your tree details on and others doing the same family can get in touch. I have got lots more info from this.There are the archives at St Catherine's house on shoreham st nxt to radio sheffield, and local studies at central library.You can try family history societies.Look up site on FFHS.The staff at libaries are very helpful and friendly.Good luck.

Thanks a lot for all help given. I am interested in the Ancestry offer because my family history is spread over several parts of the country, Sheffield, Laughton,South Nottingham and now Birmingham area and maybe the country of Wales. To buy all the Census records for each of these areas would cost a bomb, and even then the information might not be in them. So I thought it better to pay someone to look at their info, like Ancestry. All areas are available. And yes, Births marriages and deaths records give loads of interesting details, especially Nee names. Anyway thanks loads, will look at addresses given.

Thanks a lot. Helpful comments. As you say,doing it that way costs £9.99 month, but paying for full year is £69.99 year OR £5.83 month. Much cheaper, but is it worth it ? By your experience it sounds OK. Thanks.

I've had the yearly subscription for about 8 months now and it is worth every penny ! If you are seriously interested in tracing your fanily tree I would recommend it ! I'VE certainly had my moneys worth - and more !

If you live in Sheffield just go to the central Library and the family history section and it won't cost you a penny or 20pence if you want a photocopy. Look it up first on the free Ancestry site so you get the reference details and then go and get the whole copy for 20p. Or sign on to http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk and you can look there for free. Other sites are Yorkshire West Riding lookup Exchange. or RootsChat.Com. Then if you want a local birth certificate, marriage certificate or death certificate, the local registry office will get you one for £7. There are lots of free sites. Don't need to spend lots of money. I've traced my husbands family back to 1780s and haven't spent anything.

I am a subscriber to Ancestry - paying around £70 per year for full access to everything. All I can say is that I wanted to do my family history and chose ancestry as my main resource (about 12 months ago before they offered freebies). I have to say that it probably the best 70 quid I have spend during the year, I have hammered it day and night and have had excellent results from it. I will be renewing my subs as I feel it is well worth it as I now branch (if you pardon the pun) in to my extended family as I have already got back pre 1700.

hope this helps

I am a subscriber to Ancestry - paying around £70 per year for full access to everything. All I can say is that I wanted to do my family history and chose ancestry as my main resource (about 12 months ago before they offered freebies). I have to say that it probably the best 70 quid I have spend during the year, I have hammered it day and night and have had excellent results from it. I will be renewing my subs as I feel it is well worth it as I now branch (if you pardon the pun) in to my extended family as I have already got back pre 1700.

hope this helps

Wow!!! How did you find information as far back as 1700 circa. The earliest Census is 1841.

Wow!!! How did you find information as far back as 1700 circa. The earliest Census is 1841.

Never said I got that far simply using Ancestry - Did I ?? used my brain as well Tets - not sure you'd know about that though smartarse !!:rant:

Nice to find some satisfied customers. Gives me more confidence. trouble is I need to find more info.outside Sheffield and inside Sheffield. i have found connections in Sheffield with the Shalesmore area at the time of The Mooney gang etc. There is some evidence of Irish potato famine people entering into this area. Then a direct relative buried in Laughton churchyard in 1877 aged 72. For earlier details I need info around Birmingham and Nottingham. I need a wide range of records and I think this is probably the best. There is another one ,S.and N Genealogical supplies who sell Census discs etc. but not quite as good.

Never said I got that far simply using Ancestry - Did I ?? used my brain as well Tets - not sure you'd know about that though smartarse !!:rant:

Not being a "smartarse"./ Just asking a civilised question,which you don't seem to have answered.

Not being a "smartarse"./ Just asking a civilised question,which you don't seem to have answered.

Well I will answer it then - despite your earlier sarcastic comments when I was trying to be helpful.

Ancestry has been my main resource in that it has given me hoards of inforamtion about my family history which have anchored my study. To get my family history back as far as 1700 has involved much more including: numerous hours searching non indexed parish records in Sheffield, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire --- as far as Northamptonshire (in person) along with other things such as probate records applications to the court of sessions records etc... .... I was simply trying to point out that as

A) a starting/learning tool

B) a main resource/source of information

I don't think that Ancestry cuts a bad deal.

Archived