Anyone got a review of the online census?

Tets

Is the local studies library different to the Archives down near the Leadmill - if so the staff there are good too and they will always try to order things (copies) from other parts of the region / country if they can - so preventing lots of travel if your family history is a bit geographically diverse

the local studies library is in the main library in town ... up a floor i think.

the archives is the building down opposite the bbc sheffield building:D

My dad thinks we are related to sitwell family, but not found any proof yet.I have a book called left hand right by osbert sitwell, which mentions the denisons, our connection or not.

With your connections to Chesterfield and Sitwells, Matlock Records Office could be good for you. New Street,Matlock. Bit awkward to find,and restricted parking, but great office.

I have the 1871 yorkshire census discs,

disc 19 wortley & ecclesall bierlow RG10/4659 to 4670

disc 20 ecclesall bierlow & sheffield RG10/4671 to 4683

disc 21 sheffield RG10/4684 to 4697

and the 1891 yorkshire census discs

disc 18 barnsley & wortley RG12/3775 to 3792

disc 19 ecclesall bierlow RG12/3793 to 3810

disc 20 ecclesall bierlow & sheffield RG12/3811 to 3827

disc 21 sheffield RG12/3828 to 3843.

• 1 month later...
I need to find more info.outside Sheffield and inside Sheffield. For earlier details I need info around Birmingham and Nottingham.

In Oz you can acess the online censuses at the LDS family history centre for free. I would think you can do the same in Sheffield if it is more convenient than visiting the library.Wouldnt the archives in Shoreham St also give you free access to the census on line?I'm not sure about that.

Hi.

Wouldnt the archives in Shoreham St also give you free access to the census on line?I'm not sure about that.

That's correct, Ancestry is available at the archives along with local studies at the central library.

Tuppie

• 2 weeks later...

Ancestry.com is free at the LDS Family History Centres but I think you will find you have to pay for the privilege of using it at the Sheffield Archives and the Local History Library.

Happy Hunting!

Hi PopT

You don't have to pay for it at the archives or the local studies.

"Why not visit Archives or Local Studies and take a look at the Ancestry.com website? This website is free of charge to visitors to the above libraries and gives access to a huge number of family history and other records and images such as census returns and indexes to births, deaths and marriages. For more information contact Local Studies, Tel 0114 273 4753 or Archives, Tel 0114 203 9395. Use this link to have a sneak preview of what Ancestry.com can offer. "

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/libraries/find/archives/sheffield-archives

Kind Regards

Tuppie

Archived